Grandfatherd Data Texting
rattatattatt

I have the Grandfathered Unlimited Data and Nationwide Talk 450 with a $10/1000 message plan. With my employee discount, I pay $94 a month which works for me. Even though I don't use a ton of data, I kept the old plan for emergencies, so I could have unlimited, prioritized data. 

Now we're in that emergency. I can know that if I lose internet I can go online with my phone, or pay $26 a month for a hotspot and use any of my computers and watch any tv shows, go to websites, youtube, etc. They also gave us unlimited domestic calls for the month.

However I went over my 1000 texts and I have 2 weeks to go. I really don't want to give up my Unlimited data and go on one of the new plans, but I really need to text for family and work. It doesn't look like Verizon intends to do the same COVID deal for texting that they have for voice and new plan 15gb data overages.

Is there any way to up my $10/1000 add on feature to a higher message or unlimited texting plan? I've checked online and on the mobile app and I can't find any standalone texting add-ons. I'm very leery of asking a rep because they will try to get me to change. A few months ago my discounts were quietly dropped, one at a time from both voice and data over 2 different months and i had to spend hours on the phone getting them back and they kept trying to get me to change plans. I know any calls about features or plans will get them trying to strongarm me into getting a new plan which now of all times I really don't want to do.

0 Likes
Re: Grandfatherd Data Texting
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good question! Being able to text your loved ones during this difficult time is extremely essential! We will be glad to address any concerns that you have in mind with resetting your text messages. Unfortunately, there is no way that we can edit your current plan to include an additional 1,000 text messages, but we can definitely get you on a different plan that way you can have unlimited messaging. To confirm, is there a particular reason why you don't wish to change your plan? DavidR_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Grandfatherd Data Texting
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

Rattatattatt said: "I have the Grandfathered Unlimited Data and Nationwide Talk 450 with a $10/1000 message plan. With my employee discount, I pay $94 a month which works for me. Even though I don't use a ton of data, I kept the old plan for emergencies, so I could have unlimited, prioritized data. 

Now we're in that emergency. I can know that if I lose internet I can go online with my phone, or pay $26 a month for a hotspot and use any of my computers and watch any tv shows, go to websites, youtube, etc. They also gave us unlimited domestic calls for the month.

However I went over my 1000 texts and I have 2 weeks to go. I really don't want to give up my Unlimited data and go on one of the new plans, but I really need to text for family and work. It doesn't look like Verizon intends to do the same COVID deal for texting that they have for voice and new plan 15gb data overages.

Is there any way to up my $10/1000 add on feature to a higher message or unlimited texting plan? I've checked online and on the mobile app and I can't find any standalone texting add-ons. I'm very leery of asking a rep because they will try to get me to change. A few months ago my discounts were quietly dropped, one at a time from both voice and data over 2 different months and i had to spend hours on the phone getting them back and they kept trying to get me to change plans. I know any calls about features or plans will get them trying to strongarm me into getting a new plan which now of all times I really don't want to do."

From one grandfathered unlimited data holder to another, congratulation on being able to keep this great future. In times like these, features such as unlimited data are essential in our lives as our data is not deprioritized and we can use our data on pretty much whatever we want. I understand you being nervous about letting a Verizon wireless customer service representative touching your plan and potentially making a "mistake" and removing your unlimited data. I will offer you some tips, but it is ultimately up to you if you choose to follow them. You essentially have two options: Call customer service at 1-800-922-0204 or *611 from your cell phone or use a 3rd party application such as textnow app.

One way to find out if you have a knowledgeable representative is when you begin talking to them, you start talking about the features in your plan and how they are important for you to stay on your plan seeing how you've had it like that for so many years. If the VZ representative is receptive and remembers those plans, then that means she is knowledgeable in those plans and will be familiar with those features. You have to mention that you only want to change your texting plan from the 1000 text messages to the UNLIMITED MESSAGING $20.00 plan. You will then have to provide them with the code (75121) for that plan. Also let them know that if they get a warning pop up on their system about a whole new different plan from your current plan prior to the change, to abort the request and not proceed. Changing features on retired plans can be tricky as they have been of Verizon for a while now, so their codes might not be recognized by the system (hopefully not) at this time. If that is the case, then I would just download the 3rd party application give your new texting number to everyone you text. It would be a minor inconvenience until your new texting allowance restarts on your plan the following month. Good luck and post back results so other people who have this plan can see if they are allowed to make changes to their plan also.

P.S. Do not give Verizon any more money than you do by subscribing to their $30.00 tethering service. Buy a used jetpack (clean IMEI) and take your Sim card from your phone and place it on a jetpack and give all of your devices the unlimited data they deserve. You will still be able to make calls and texts (Verizon Messages app) out of your phone with your Verizon number. Stick it to Verizon.