Re: Goodbye Verizon, Enough is Enough
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

I understand what you're saying about the "you get what you pay for" thing but I do think the law of marginal returns comes in somewhere.  Let's just say that Verizon has the absolute best network (which I believe many people feel that is the case).  If they doubled everyone's phone bills and said "yeah, it's the most expensive but you get what you pay for", they'd likely lose a LOT of people.  If they did it again the next month, they'd probably lose even more.  Now, just using ONLY the logic "you get what you pay for", you'd be stoked that they're charging more because you're going to get more back but that's not always the case. 

The truth is cell phone bills are very expensive and with Verizon being the most expensive, there are times you have to wonder if the extra money you're paying is really giving you THAT much better service.  As I've said before, I could take my 2 phone plan and go to a BYOP plan with one of Verizon's rivals and save literally $100/mo.  I can guarantee I'm going to lose some service but am I losing $100/mo ($2400 saved/contract) difference?  Somehow I doubt it. 

I'm still waiting for someone like Republic Wireless to change the way cell phone companies operate and force changes on the bigger ones but we'll see if that ends up happening.  If it does, I'm going to be happy to watch the USS Verizon crash right into that iceberg and sink into obscurity (ok, that probably won't happen, I just hate Verizon right now). 

Oh, and I've heard complaints about "loyalty" all the time, Tidbits has made many mentions of why people refer to this and I got something in the mail the other day and remembered why people talk about loyalty in terms of Verizon.  Their upgrades and discounts are called "Loyalty Upgrades" or "Loyalty Discounts".  So that might have something to do with it.  Just a random side thought. 

Wescyde
Contributor - Level 1

You make a good point that that "you get what you pay for" point of view.  I think some are that point of i might be paying a litle more but the service is really good as far as your phone not customer.  I looked at moving to AT&T and would not have saved any money what so ever for the same exact plan and phones etc.  So on that note it made no sense to move this time around.  At some point something better will come a long its just the nature of any business, and when that happens we will see. 

0 Likes
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

There's very little difference between Verizon and AT&T (as soon as one of them makes a move, the other seems to follow).  The real noticable differences in prices and plans would be AT&T/Verizon versus T mobile or Sprint.  You can save a significant amount of money jumping to the latter two, you just have to evaluate whether the money you save by jumping ship is in proportion to the service you receive.  If you are in an area that typically has terrible service and Verizon is the only one with decent coverage, it makes sense to stick with them.  I think most people tend to live in areas that are well covered by each of those carriers and the change in service would be minimal when compared to the money you'd save by jumping ship. 

But maybe that's just me.  I hate Verizon and can't wait to leave. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want you to love us boobdole!  What are you specifically experiencing?  Please share how I can help restore your love and keep you apart of the Verizon Wireless family.  Thank you!

Tominque B.
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

When I bought my 4G phone (droid charge) in July of last year, I was told our area would have 4G by the end of summer.  I didn't take that as a definite date (things happen) so when it didn't happen at the end of summer, I figured it would be by Christmas for sure.  When that didn't happen, I went to Verizon stores, talked to reps, called the phone line and was told the only guarantee I was going to get is that it would be there by the end of 2013, WELL past the last year of my contract. 

I paid $300 for a "premium flagship" 4G phone with unlimited data that I'd never get to use.  Rather than making it right, Verizon basically told me that I didn't matter until my contact was up.  No phone upgrades, no price reductions, no reimbursements, no letting me out of contract.  Nothing.  So when myself or my wife are almost out of contract and NOW Verizon cares, I sure as **** don't.

I keep hearing that Verizon wants to keep my business but I'm yet to see any action come from it.  What I hear is Verizon wants to keep my business as long as it doesn't cost them anything and they don't have to do anything.  That's not customer service. 

Feel free to fix the problem if you want but don't patronize me by pretending Verizon cares. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

boobdole wrote:

I paid $300 for a "premium flagship" 4G phone with unlimited data that I'd never get to use.

So you were unable to use ANY data at all during that time?

0 Likes
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

Sorry, I guess that statement was a bit misleading. 

No, I had 3G, I just didn't have 4G, which I was led to believe would be arriving soon.  If I had only planned on using 3G, I wouldn't have bought the charge (which I only accepted because they kept pushing back the bionic and I had to choose between 4G with unlimited data with a very average device, get a good 3G device with unlimited data (which would be pointless considering how slow 3G has been in our area), or wait and get a decent 3G or 4G device without unlimited data. 

I made my decision off assurances that we would have 4G in our area relatively soon.  I settled on a device I didn't really want based on this information.  I realize that there are never any guarantees on this but I do think there is some responsibility to give relatively accurate information since I'm making a decision on the phone I'm going to have for the next 2 years. 

If Verizon doesn't feel any responsibility for this, that's fine, that's their right.  But I certainly am not going to renew a contract with them when they provided me with false information and then decided they are going to ignore me until 2 years down the road and now suddenly, I'm getting letters in the mail, phone calls, trying to win me back.  And maybe every other company will do the same thing (except AT&T had the Atrix, a better phone, 6 months prior to Verizon and Verizon is WAY more tight lipped on any updates on phones/technology.  Even their employees don't know anything until a week before it hits shelves!  It's hard to trust a company who feeds their employees false/no information and then has them deny any knowledge of the situation). 

Basically, I think Verizon handled this situation poorly.  They've made no attempt to fix it until right before my contract is up.  Maybe every other company is just as bad but, unless they truly want to fix the situation, I might as well give someone else a shot. 

0 Likes
trssho91

I'm with the rest of you.  I dealt with a year of 'certified like new' junk used phones before just buying my own gnex outright to solve the phone issues (which it did).   Wouldn't you know 90 days after I bought my new phone Verizon told me that I use too much data and automatically took away my unlimited data and put me on a family share plan without my consent or knowledge.  This limited me to 2gb and increased my bill $35 a month.   That's it... I am out of contract and they ran me off.  I had Verizon for 11 years, pity.   Let's see how long Verizon can keep doing this to customers.  My wife's line is next, my parents are changing, and two close friends just changed in the last 30 days due to issues they had with Verizon.

0 Likes
trssho91

Wow, what a nice response from the 'verizon community".  I got a email calling BS on my experience and post saying bye.   First off, yes verizon did change my plan without my consent - which was the whole reason my contract is void and I am allowed to leave with a fee.  Second off - if a large company treats a customer badly, is it right to just be a pain when they share their experiences with other people.  I didn't kick your dog, so don't act like I did something TO YOU.   To those who want to email me and such, enjoy paying twice what you need for so you can recieve nothing more than other carriers other than pitiful customer service.  

>Post edited to comply with VZW ToS<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
melvindeville
Contributor - Level 1

nobody cares how long youve been a customer.

0 Likes