GoUnlimited vs. BeyondUnlimited Streaming Quality/Speed
STEDEN28

I'm considering signing up for one of the two unlimited plans. I understand that Beyond gets priority when there is congestion (and have seen the many complaints about this). My question relates to streaming.

In the plan FAQs, it says that:

- GoUnlimited provides "DVD quality streaming, 480p/720p (phones/tablets)"

- BeyondUnlimited provides "HD quality streaming, 720p/1080p  (phones/tablets)"

What does this really mean? Can they really tell what quality video you are streaming, or do they just throttle the connection? Or are they doing something else?

I'd be interested to hear peoples experiences with this?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: GoUnlimited vs. BeyondUnlimited Streaming Quality/Speed
deloused
Master - Level 3

The connection is throttled based on the plan

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there STEDEN28. It's definitely important to have clear expectations about the plan. In regards to streaming, the video quality often varies based on the connection speed, and the higher quality video, the more speed and data are required. When using Beyond Unlimited, you are able to stream videos from your smartphone at 720p, vs. 480p on the Go Unlimited plan. 

LeoL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

STEDEN28 wrote:

- BeyondUnlimited provides "HD quality streaming, 720p/1080p (phones/tablets)"

What does this really mean? Can they really tell what quality video you are streaming, or do they just throttle the connection? Or are they doing something else?

Thanks!

According to Netflix, SD video requires ~1GB of data/hr and HD video requires ~3GB of data/hr. So yes, Verizon can tell if you are streaming at a rate of 1GB of data/hr or 3GB of data/hr and can limit your video feed to allow you either SD/DVD or HD video depending on your plan.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

STEDEN28 wrote:

I'm considering signing up for one of the two unlimited plans. I understand that Beyond gets priority when there is congestion (and have seen the many complaints about this). My question relates to streaming.

- BeyondUnlimited provides "HD quality streaming, 720p/1080p (phones/tablets)"

Thanks!

On the phone Netflix has been about 1.8 Mbps for Go I hear about 3.5 Mbps for Beyond. despite what people claim you rally aren't telling much of difference on tiny phone screen. People worried about picture quality shouldn't be watching on a phone anyway. Use the FAStTcom speedtest app. it's rom Netflix so it will show your streaming speed.

0 Likes