Re: Forced to purchase "Data Plan" contact the CEO
alepata

I just sent my email to the CEO because I believe that these emails will work. Keep sending them because if we keep sending emails that are well-written and show the logic behind our demand, they will actually listen to us.

0 Likes
dakotakid

Huh, exact same situation.  Who would have figured?

My wife wanted to upgrade her phone to what I have, the EnV 3.  I purchased it in December - no data package.  It's now required for her.  We have absolutely no desire to use the web services, and find it ludicrous that they would charge us a monthly fee for a service that we don't use.  As stated above, I'm not charged for the calculator, calendar, alarm clock, etc, etc whether I use them or not.  They're features that come with the phone.  If I want to use the internet services, then by all means charge me a fee to use it.  But don't require us to pay a monthly fee for something that we WILL NOT USE. 

This is a big enough issue for use that we will be leaving Verizon at the end of our agreement if this issue is not resolved to our satisfaction.  Listen up Verizon!

0 Likes
madatvcell

My family and I have been Verizon customers for many years.  I have been very pleased with the company's service in all aspects until now.  It has come time where we would like to upgrade our phones, but have come to realize that the phones we are interested in have a non-optional $9.99 data plan.  We have never and will never have any interest in using our phones as web browsers nor paying for it.  I have heard all of the excuses as to why Verizon has decide to do this.  We enjoy our level phones because of the ease of texting, camera, video, screen and mp3 qualities.  At no point has internet use been the reason we bought these phones and from reading the Verizon forums it seems to be that this feeling is shared with many other Verizon customers.  I would like to pose a question to you.  If you were looking to upgrade a laptop and you found one with all the options you wanted but were forced to pay for a monthly service such as a specific web service or data back up plan that you did not use or need before or now. Would you pay for it?  Would you downgrade to a lower end laptop that did not meet your needs?  Or would you go somewhere else that did not require these unnecessary options.  Well needless to say we will be looking elsewhere.  This a subversive way of increasing you rates without coming out and saying and hiding behind a data plan.  If Verizon changes this new policy I would gladly remain a customer, but as of now I am considering another cell phone company that is customizable to its individual customers needs as Verizon once was.

Respectfully,
XXXXXXXXXX

Sent this to CEO will post if I get any type of response.

0 Likes
tian6869

haha, the car example is a good one.

0 Likes
davey

What a joke to be forced to buy a data plan with the upgrade. The phones they are offering without the data plan are no upgrade. I am seriously going to look for other carriers with unlimited text. I have been with verizon for a long time and have really passed the word that they had great service, now i am sure to pass the word with this ridiculous fee. The $10 only gets you 25mb, what's that 2 emails for 10 bucks a month, i am so  done....

0 Likes
ryberlin

Krafft34, your car anology is incorrect.  What the moble phone companies are doing is more like GM saying that since every car they make comes standard with OnStar and XM that you are required to pay for these services.  In reality, GM offers these for free for a month and lets you choose wether you want to continue subscribing to them.  If Verizon were in charge of GM they would make it so that if you didn't use OnStar or XM and canceled your subscription, they would disable your car.

Me and my wife have had a Q9c and a Centro with no data plan for over two years now.  We've never had the need or desire to go online with them.  I was hoping to upgrade to a Droid but won't because of this new policy.

If you[edit] think spending $720 (per phone!) over the course of two years for the convieniance of checking your email, it's your money.  I spend less than that for actual internet.  Once my wife's contract is up I'm leaving Verizon if this policy is still in place.  If every other carrier is still doing the same, I'm washing my hands of if and going prepaid. 

I'm emailing the CEO because there seems to be no other way to express to Verizon my dissatisfaction if customer service has been instructed to ignore my complaints.

{please keep your posts courteous}

0 Likes
Gb755c

Those that are complaining about being "Forced" to choose a data plan I personally see a trend like this starting for ALL the wireless carriers that offer smartphones.  The Apple iPhone is this way and I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint and AT&T start doing it for ALL their smartphones.  Only choices you have are 1 don't buy a cell phone and 2 don't buy a smartphone. 

0 Likes
dudleydawson
Enthusiast - Level 3

^ Alias 2 and enV3 are NOT smart phones

0 Likes
kissingsunshine

I will be contacting their complaint department and I recommend anyone who feels like this is a way to strong-arm customers to pay for coverage we dont want or need - to contact them also!

3400 Forest Dr

Columbia SC, 29204

0 Likes
alepata

Yea everybody has forced people to get data plans for smartphones NOT multimedia phones! They are different. Smartphones always come with a required $30 data plan but not the other phones that now have a required $9.99 data plan!

0 Likes