Forced Data Package
lrando1
Contributor - Level 1

So I'm guessing Verizon is just waiting to outlast us in this matter? I have the sinking feeling that nothing is going to change in regards to this. I thinking they are figuring we will eventually go away :smileysad:

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Forced Data Package
fonger
Enthusiast - Level 3

lrando1 wrote:

So I'm guessing Verizon is just waiting to outlast us in this matter? I have the sinking feeling that nothing is going to change in regards to this. I thinking they are figuring we will eventually go away :smileysad:

They won't listen to us...but they'll listen to $$$.  If enough customers leave then they'll make some compromise.

Because of their data requirement, I am now aware of what other carriers are charging.  With the new data requirement it's now cheaper to go to either AT&T or Sprint.

AT&T does have data requirement too, here's what they have:

AT&T                                           Verizon

$30   Unlimited data and Text          Unlimited data only

$20   Unlimited Text                                    NA

$15   Unlimited data                                   NA

$9.99       NA                                                 25MB Data

with AT&T,  if you don't want to use data, you can replace that requirements with the unlimited Text plan instead.

on top of that AT&T has carry over minutes.   They have cheaper text plans as well.

Sprint total package is pretty good too:

For 69.99 with 450 anytime minute:

• Any Mobile, Anytime: Unlimited domestic calls from the Sprint network to and from ANY U.S. mobile phone regardless of carrier. Any network, any time.
  • Unlimited data: Web surfing, email, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS), GPS Navigation, Music Premier, TV Premier, NFL Mobile Live, NASCAR Sprint Cup MobileSM
  • Unlimited Direct Connect: Direct Connect and Group Connect (for capable phones)
  • Unlimited messaging: Text, pictures and video
  • Talk: Night calling and weekends starting at 7 p.m., nationwide long distance and no roaming charges

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

VZW has changed some aspect of their data pricing every year for the last 3-4 years. Contrary to popular belief those changes are based on customer and employee feedback. So yes, VZW does see the people complaining on these forums. However, what those people don't realize is that they are NOT the majority of VZW customers. Still, constructive feedback is taken into consideration.

Changes to these data plans will not happen overnight, probably not even within the next 6 months. But if there is enough dissatisfaction they will be changed. Granted, they'll never be discontinued altogether, nor will the data requirement on some devices go away, they'll only be changed to better accommodate different needs.

0 Likes
48VJ

I have heard about surveys that showed that this is what "our" customers want. I have yet to find or talk to anyone that has taken part in such a survey.That doesn't mean there wasn't one

I believe if they asked if we wanted data ,sure why not it should be available.

If asked about a better price structure with a couple of tiers,1 /mb,xx/mb and unlimited the answer would likely be yes

Should it be required for certain phones? I do not believe anyone would answer yes to this

So yes I think that the majority of customers want data available. But they want it as an option not as a requirement.

The $30/ unlimited/phone --I pay $35/month for an unlimited ISP and it covers all that is in my house, that I could also use a smartphone without the data plan Most places I go have WiFi ,I do not have cell coverage at my house so a data plan is useless for most of the time. I do understand that I am a" special circumstance" in this reguard.

The $10/25mb/phone The $10 is ok. The 25mb just is too little for the price (AT&T $15/unlimited) The overage price is a little nicer  --.40/mb overage is.20/mb

$2/mb Is realy expensive compaired to the ^above^ 

This is a money grab but it is also a push to get customers to use and get hooked on the data features and then make even more money. It would make more sense to offer a lower price option on the lesser phones to get people to try out and then get hooked and want data. I have and do use some data (very little) I have not used enough to warrent  anything more than the $1.99 paygo.If it was cheaper I try it  more. Requiring to me take the $10/monthor $120 /year per phone when i have not used $20 in a year fits even less.

If they want this increase they should ease us into it from the bottom and not take us to the top and push us off.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

FYI, Sprint lost the NFL package. Verizon now has the package. Lucky us....... Wonder what will happen to rates now.

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

budone wrote:

FYI, Sprint lost the NFL package. Verizon now has the package. Lucky us....... Wonder what will happen to rates now.

They'll go up of course, because everyone will be required to purchase a $10/mo subscription that allows you to see info from 5 games.  Info from all games and all the in-between game punditry will be $30 a month and will only be required on phones with your team logo embossed on every possible feature.

0 Likes
bryangascon1997

I think this is **bleep** and they should at least not do it with multimedia phones I still think it should be a choice. And I was going to get the alias 2 1-year contract but found out there was a forced data plan and I can't afford it so it may be my loss but without that I would have got it.

0 Likes
ham10814
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, does AT &T force you to purchase the data plan with a particular phone or is it optional???

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

AT&T does require you to purchase a certain value text AND/OR data plan with certain handsets, with categories very similar to Verizon.  They seem to have better offerings for unlimited data/text across all lines of a family plan, and since most people already have a texting plan, they can usually meet the requirement for the phone they want without adding the data feature.

0 Likes