Fluctuating wireless signal
Jeanwreno
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a new Samsung Galaxy S® 4 mini. We live in an area on Lake Erie with low signal, so I have had a Verizon network extender on my cable connection for years. My sister (several blocks away) has one also. My old phones worked fine. My sister gets full bars at my house & hers, so does my brother, so does my husband. My signal fluctuates between nothing and 4 bars, keeps just going up and down. Phone also tells me my wifi is bad, but no one else gets that message. What could the problem be?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Fluctuating wireless signal
pherson
Champion - Level 1

The phone itself. Get a phone that is more signal compatible.  You didn't say what the rest have, but I'm sure if you got one you would be getting a better signal.

Next caller?

Jeanwreno
Enthusiast - Level 2

The phone is new & quite expensive. My husband's is an inexpensive flip top LTE. My sister has an iPhone. My brother has a Samsung Galaxy. The wifi works great. It is the phone calls that are the problem. You know, the reason you have a phone. It fluctuates. Sometimes works fine, other times no one can understand me & calls drop. I can sit & look at the meter on the phone going up & down. Spending any more money for another phone is not in the picture.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Sounds like an issue with the network extender.

May need to get it physically examined along with the phone.

Jeanwreno
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will get the phone checked, but the network extender seems to work well with all the other Verizon phones, so I felt it was not the culprit.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

The network extender mind you is merely a crutch to help you connect. You aren't able to connect normally so you have a helper. Now you have a phone that has issues connection to the helper. Tough luck. If you are still in your 14 days, return it. The crutch isn't the issue. If you are outside...oh well.  I'm sure it didn't take 14 days to realize the problem. Buy a phone that works and sell the old one to recoup your losses.

0 Likes
Jeanwreno
Enthusiast - Level 2

Where we live, no one has reliable cell phone service without a network extender. Mine works to the end of my driveway. The problem is obviously the phone, but is it inherent in this particular brand of phone or is it just my phone malfunctioning? This is what I am hoping to get comments on from people who have this phone. There is no way I can get another phone on my retirement income. Hopefully, Verizon has a solution or someone who uses this phone. I have seen suggestions on the internet for other brands of phone with problems like this.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Unless your neighbors with the same exact phone and situation all reply on your post, your best option is to contact tech support from another phone to properly troubleshoot.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jeanwreno, we are here to help identify exactly what is going on! It certainly does not sound like the Network Extender is the issue, so I'm wondering the same thing you are -- is the phone malfunctioning? When you are away from home do you still experience the same fluctuating signal?

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes