First call always goes straight to voicemail. Subsequent call goes through just fine.
md738

I activated a new line on my account for my mom back in October and got her an iPhone 5C. Since she has been using the phone, callers trying to make a call TO her have been experiencing the following issue:

1. The caller dials my mom's number.

2. From the caller end, the phone rings once, then goes to voicemail. From the receiving end (my mom's phone), the device never rings.

3. The caller immediately dials my mom's number again. The call goes through just fine and my mom hears it ring on her end and answers (assuming she's available to answer).

This had never been a huge issue before as it was usually just me who called her. Now she's just had major surgery, and friends and family have been trying to reach out to her. They've instead started calling me complaining that my mom has her phone turned off or on Do Not Disturb. Neither of these are true. The phone is on, and DND is not turned on. I have been educating the family to simply call back after the first attempt goes to voicemail, and that has been working as a workaround through the Christmas Holiday.

I've tried resetting her phone's network settings, but that hasn't resolved the issue. Is there anything further I can try on the device to troubleshoot? Is this a common issue, and is it device agnostic, or specific to the iPhone?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: First call always goes straight to voicemail. Subsequent call goes through just fine.
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Please do the following...

Check near the battery icon. Is there a little crescent moon symbol? If so, you have on Do not disturb.

To turn this off swipe from the bottom of the screen to reveal the control center and tap the moon.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: First call always goes straight to voicemail. Subsequent call goes through just fine.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

md738,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your mom's phone. With her recent situation I am sure that it is important to make sure she has a standard working device.

There is no known issue with iPhones, or even the 5c in general with that problem. The first suggestion would be to get a sim replacement for the device. It sounds like the connection is not as consistent as it could be. Resetting the network settings would be the first step, but you have already completed that. You can get a replacement sim in any corporate store vzw.com/storelocator. Let us know how this works and we would be happy to explore other options.

Thank you,

TonyG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
md738

Thanks Tony, I'll give that a shot.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Anytime md738! We'll be here if you need us and here's some additional support on the go as well. http://bit.ly/yN1P80

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
Seashell217

I am having the same issue. What is the fix?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's take a look into the issue, Seashell217. What device do you currently have? Does the issue occur randomly?

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
dribgib

Same issue here iphone 5c.... reset network settings didn't fix it

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Please do the following...

Check near the battery icon. Is there a little crescent moon symbol? If so, you have on Do not disturb.

To turn this off swipe from the bottom of the screen to reveal the control center and tap the moon.

0 Likes