Fees for leaving edge?
scottemick

I was a long-time Verizon customer originally from airtouch wireless.  I switched to Alltel in around 2007 for better coverage in the Roaming Shores, Ohio area. Allel was the only major carrier with a tower near enough to work well.  (And, still is to my knowledge).  When Verizon bought Alltel, I was back to Verizon, no problems there, but the Alltel customers in Roaming Shores remained with Alltel.  Eventually Verizon stopped doing roaming agreements there, and I moved to LTE, so for the past few years I get good service most everywhere with LTE, except at Roaming Shores I'd have about 1-2 bars outdoors and only 3G.  Internet quality and speed got slower and slower and is nonexistent now with more and more people moving to the lake area or staying for the summer. AT&T has now bought Alltel and my sister's family has smartphones with that carrier and they get 4-5 bars and blazing LTE speeds.  As I am an IT consultant and am on call 24/7/365 I use the hotspot feature on my phone frequently.

So I am considering moving my 4 smartphones over to AT&T for data reception problems mainly.  I'd rather stay with Verizon but I accept the fact that this is such a small area that if in 30 years no one has put a new tower there except Alltel, no one else probably will.  Thus AT&T will have the monopoly there for those who need the absolute best from their carrier.   The 10-20 miles to the nearest tower for Verizon for residents on the north side of the lake just doesn't cut it.  Sometimes if I take my phone and put it on the roof of the house in 1 particular spot I can get decent 3G or even 4G at times, but there is still the fact that cell use from the lake can overwhelm the entire little tower everyone is hitting during the summer and cut off internet entirely.

So my question is:  I have 2 smartphones out of contract, and 2 on edge.  Can I turn these edge phones back in, or must I pay them off entirely?

What is the best strategy for transitioning all my lines over to AT&T?  Anyone else's experience in this area or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott Emick

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fees for leaving edge?
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

YYou have pay the edge phones off before you leave.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

YYou have pay the edge phones off before you leave.

0 Likes
scottemick

I wanted to update this...According to antennasearch, there is an antenna owned by Crown that I believe Verizon uses at 41.604, -81.844 which according to Google Maps is only 3.02 miles as the crow flies...If in fact it is only three miles, then why the terrible reception on the lake the last 2 years.  It must be something like altitude or hills or something...It SEEMS like the tower is 20 miles away...lol

And with the addition of the 700 mhz to LTE, why wouldn't we get good reception?  This is the experience of every verizon wireless user in our neighborhood, not just my family.   Now the AT&T tower (formerly alltel) is at 41.657,-80.801 and only 1.2 miles away...I can't believe 2 miles makes or breaks a cell connection....

0 Likes
scottemick

So the best strategy appears to be to pay of the phones and sell them in good condition, would you agree?

0 Likes