Family share plan with different contract dates
jewelsy

We currently have a Family Share Plan where my two daughters were added at different times, so we have 3 contract end dates within the same year.  Is there any way to get these dates in synch without any penalties or changes to the plan we've been grandfathered with?  It seems that any changes would penalize our family.  Any ideas?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Family share plan with different contract dates
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

The only way to get them "in sync" is to renew them all on the same day. please explain why you feel it's a problem having different dates?

0 Likes
jewelsy

My daughters are in college now and, hopefully, one of these days they'll be ready to take on their own bills and make their own choices.  Let's say they choose to go with another company and we agree I carry them until their contract end dates.  Wouldn't that break *my* contract under the family plan, automatically switch me to another plan and penalize me? 

As for the same-day renewal, are you saying if my contract date is tomorrow and theirs are later this year, I can renew them so that we all expire in January 2015?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Your daughters can at any time perform an AOL(assumption of liability) and take over their own line without any penalty to you or and change to your plan as long as you still have more than 1 line on your account in order to keep your Family Plan. If you drop down to one line, you would automatically be switched to an Individual plan as you would only have one line. There are no penalties, though.

Once either/both of your daughters are out of contract, they can still do an AOL or can port their number to another provider with no penalties to you.

As to same-day renewal, of course all of the lines would need to be eligible for a discounted upgrade for the new contract dates to expire at the same time. If your daughters are not eligible for a discounted upgrade, they would not be signing a new contract if they were to get a new phone as they would receive no discount off the retail price of the phone.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

jewelsy wrote:

My daughters are in college now and, hopefully, one of these days they'll be ready to take on their own bills and make their own choices.  Let's say they choose to go with another company and we agree I carry them until their contract end dates.  Wouldn't that break *my* contract under the family plan, automatically switch me to another plan and penalize me? 

As for the same-day renewal, are you saying if my contract date is tomorrow and theirs are later this year, I can renew them so that we all expire in January 2015?

Your contract would not be broken by dropping lines. You'll remain on the same contract plan until the owner of the account(you, I assume) chooses to change plan. You can even go back to a single line "Nationwide plan" assuming you're on the Nationwide plan now.

As far as contracts you'll have to wait until they all reach the 20 months and then "upgrade" them all at the same time.

FYI,  If any line has an unlimited data plan, you lose the unlimited data for that line if you upgrade at a discounted(phone) price.

0 Likes