Family Plans and Adding a Phone
izuela

Looking for info on how adding another phone on a existing family plan works. What fees are associated with doing that? One time? Monthly? Clarification, I want to do it without extending the contract. Also, I don't need a bells and whistles phone. Just need calling and texting and I'm trying to figure out the most cost effective way to do it.

Is it possible if I buy a cheapish phone like this one on Amazon.com (first one listed) to add it to the family plan?--> http://www.amazon.com/LG-VX9200-Verizon-Camcorder-Bluetooth/dp/B004IS1PBS/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=U...

Clarification would be appreciated!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Family Plans and Adding a Phone
Not applicable

Each line of service on your account has a contract of it's own.  So, if you were to purchase a subsidized phone from Verizon, you would have to sign a 2 year contract for the new line.  If you paid full retail price or purchased a phone somewhere else, you could add a line without a contract.  The cost to add a line to your account would be $9.99 per month.  If it is a smartphone, you would also need a data plan for another $30 per month.  A text plan is $10 per month for 1000 text or you can have unlimited texting for all lines on your account for $30 per month.  If you add a line, there is a one-time activation fee of $35.  Taxes and fees vary, but are around $4.50 per month per line.

0 Likes
izuela

So buying an LG VX9200 (or something similar) on Amazon.com and adding it to the family plan would be $35 activation + $10 monthly?

0 Likes
izuela

Or this one, the Kin One --> http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Kin-One-Windows-Phone/dp/B004SJ2VY2/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

One reviewer says it does not require a data plan (is this correct?). Could I buy that one of Amazon.com and add it right away to the family plan, for $35 activation + $10 monthly?

0 Likes
Not applicable

I don't know anything about how Amazon works.  I just explained how Verizon works.

0 Likes
Not applicable

izuela wrote:

Or this one, the Kin One --> http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Kin-One-Windows-Phone/dp/B004SJ2VY2/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

One reviewer says it does not require a data plan (is this correct?). Could I buy that one of Amazon.com and add it right away to the family plan, for $35 activation + $10 monthly?

The M version of the Kin do not require a data plan. I'm not sure about the original Kin like the link you posted. Also frankly the Kins stink. My son's Kin2m lasted about a year before the screen stopped working. A common issues it appears. Between the 2 phones you mentioned I'd rather have the first than the Kin.

That extra line is $10 a month plus taxes and fees. In my areas those are just under $4. Also you can only have a max of 5 lines on the old plans.

Also as was mentioned if you want that line to text you need a texting plan which is $10 for 1000 texts, $20 for unlimited text for that line only or for $30 you can have unlimited texting on ALL lines. Without a texting plan texting is 20 cents per text and 25 cents per picture text.

And was also said there is $35 activation fee though some stores will waive that, but don't expect it.

0 Likes
izuela

I only suggested that Kin because it was the first phone I found where a reviewer claimed a data plan was not required. Not sure if the same goes for the LG VX9200.

Apparently there is also the Palm Centro 690 --> http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Centro-Phone-Verizon-Wireless/dp/B005KN5Z7K/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

If you know of another more reliable one (with buttons, not touch screen) please let me know. Our family plan already has unlimited testing, so there wont be any extra cost for that. I just need to know before I buy if that phone can be added right away to the family plan. Would hate to buy one only to find out it's not eligible for the family plan for some obscure reason.

I have also looked into cheap pay as you go phones (avoiding the family plan all together). Just trying to figure out which option would be cheaper in the long run for a phone that will only be used 4-5 times a week and doesn't need anything beyond calls and text.

0 Likes
Not applicable

The LG VX9200 is not a smartphone thus doesn't require a data plan.

As long as you don't have 5 lines already you can add another line. As I said it will be $10 a month extra for non smartphone plus taxes. And a one time $35 activation fee. The first month will be prorated since they bill in advance so expect that to be higher.

0 Likes
rabiddog

This is not true.  I just paid a visit to a Verizon store and brought in a phone that I had purchased elsewhere.  I wanted to add this onto my family plan.   The store clerk informed me that the monthly charge is $10, plus a $35 activation fee and that I would be required to sign a two year contract even though I am not using one of their subsidized phones.  It doesn't make any sense to me and I declined to commit to a 2 year contract on the additional line.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

rabiddog wrote:

This is not true.  I just paid a visit to a Verizon store and brought in a phone that I had purchased elsewhere.  I wanted to add this onto my family plan.   The store clerk informed me that the monthly charge is $10, plus a $35 activation fee and that I would be required to sign a two year contract even though I am not using one of their subsidized phones.  It doesn't make any sense to me and I declined to commit to a 2 year contract on the additional line.

Corporate store or retailer? Adding a new line would have those two charges. The two year contract for a BYOD equipment doesn't make sense and is wrong.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes