Error 31: Other network problem
LAWAUB0
Enthusiast - Level 2

I keep getting "What causes Error 31: Other network problem" intermittently and I have to keep hitting send when sending text messages. Sometimes it take a dozen or so tries before the message is sent. This is VERY frustrating. Does anyone have a cure or fix?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Error 31: Other network problem
coreym_vzw
Verizon Employee

A dozen or so tries to send a text is never good news as messaging concerns are not what we want for you. Allow us to troubleshoot. What make and model device do you have? What's your zip code? What other services (calls, data, etc.) are you experiencing issues with? Do you know other VZW customers with the same concern?

CoreyM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
LAWAUB0
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note9. ZIP is 01569. Coverage here in the center of Uxbridge, MA is poor so I use a VZW network extender. I'm beginning to think that it is the problem as I'm not having the problem when away from home. I'm going to experiment by shutting off Wi-Fi so I wont be using the extender to send messages and see if it improves and stops the problem.

dwhiteTS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have this same problem:

I own two phones on the same Verizonwireless account:

1. a Samsung Galaxy S8+ that I have had for 6 months

2. An iPhone 10XR that I bought yesterday.

The iPhone can text with other iPhones.... but:

a. I can't send a text from the VZW iPhone to the VZW Galaxy S8+ on the same VZW account, and

b. When attempting to send a text from the VZW Galaxy S8+ to the iPhone, the Galaxy reports "Error 31: other network"

The Error 31 fails when I am in service area of 93021.

When I am at my house where there is no cell service at all and we are on WiFi, the galaxy does not report the error, but the messages fail to send either way.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Can you please disable iMessage on the iPhone for us and try again?

DillonY_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
LAWAUB0
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't have an iPhone. It's a Samsung Galaxy Note 9.

0 Likes
dwhiteTS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Disabling iMessage did not change anything. I am still unable to send a text between the two.

I also disabled wifi on both phones -- no luck.

0 Likes
tionnab_vzw
Verizon Employee

LAWAUB0, allow me to clear up the previous message regarding iMessage. That was for another community member who posted on the thread. I want to ensure we are on the same page regarding your previous post. Are you stating you only have this error when trying to send messages when connected to the Network Extender? You mentioned you were going to experiment how did that go?

TionnaB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dwhiteTS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I dont have a network extender.

Messages between my Galaxy S8+ and my iPhone XR cannot be sent or received

under any circumstances thus far... including while on wifi or plain

cellular in either thousand oaks or moorpark. IMessage on or disabled hass

the same result.

The iPhone says message not sent.

The Galaxy says Error 31.

The Galaxy and the iPhone work sending/receiving with other iPhones on

AT&T.

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018, 6:23 AM tionnab_vzw <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
LAWAUB0
Enthusiast - Level 2

TionnaB,

I can't disable the extender as it is the only way I can get cellular service here in the center of town. It seems to work correctly at work which is 17 miles from home.

So it must be due to extender or the poor service here.

I've complained about poor coverage here in the center of town (Uxbridge, MA) but that hasn't changed.

0 Likes