Re: Edge Plan is a RIP OFF!!
JaseXhesi
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got the Note 4 on edge. Deal running was $29 plus change so we'll say $30. Line fee for smartphones is $40 but for edge devices they offered a price break on that depending on what device. So my note 4 line fee is $15 and my edge payment a month is $30. Together $45. So $5 additional $ a month to get the device I wanted which on 2 year plan would have cost me $200 to buy. So over 2 years I pay $120. That's an $80 savings to go with edge program. Also- NO $30 ACTIVATION FEE FOR EDGE. so another $30 saved. So $110 saved overall with edge.

Now that has nothing to do with data cost. That's additional for the more everything which is lump sum you add ur line fees to.

As far as the insurance the agent wouldn't let you use that's bs. Sounds like she played you with a hard sales pitch. Then didn't explain edge to you very well. You're not "barrowing" the phone. You're paying for it. You can upgrade sooner. Which will start another payment plan for new device. Or ride with what you have as long as you want.

Problem is I don't think verizon has thought that far ahead. Unless there's extemely fine print the discounted line fee is what I have with no end. So when my 2 year up then no more paying for phone, no more $30 for that. Is my line fee still the $15? Or will it jump back to normal $40. According to paperwork I'm reading it should stay $15.

Edge is about a whole bunch of factors. Of course I selected a phone that was $30 a month. If you got a phone that was $25 or under then you're either breaking even in comparison of 2 yr vs Edge OR even saving $5

& they were running a special on 15 gb for $100 rather than $130 which I jumped on. 

We always went with the 2 year & only selected from the free phones offered to upgrade. If it's free 2 year is the way to go. But if you have to pay $150+ for phone I feel edge is better way to go because when you crunch numbers you save.

Sorry you ended up feeling conned. I feel insurance should have done something for you as opposed to what being pushed into something you weren't fully informed of something.  Store associates are extremely pushy about edge. Might be an employee incentive/bonus for how many they can get to do it.

Lmc22391
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm new to the edge plan so I'm not familiar with the month to month discount that you are referring to? The only discount I was told about was the $25 dollar discount with edge and my 10gb plan.

Also. Here's something I thought about. If I get a iPhone 6 64gb. $750. 75% of that is 562. So there is 188 remaining. With an iPhone. They cone out yearly. In a year. Surely the iPhone 6 will be worth more than 188. So wouldn't it be better to just lay the phone off and sell it on your own and still get the new phone with Verizon? And if that holds true. What's the advantage of edge? Besides that they give a nice $25 dollar discount(if that holds up forever)

0 Likes
Not applicable

Lmc22391 wrote:

I'm new to the edge plan so I'm not familiar with the month to month discount that you are referring to? The only discount I was told about was the $25 dollar discount with edge and my 10gb plan.

Also. Here's something I thought about. If I get a iPhone 6 64gb. $750. 75% of that is 562. So there is 188 remaining. With an iPhone. They cone out yearly. In a year. Surely the iPhone 6 will be worth more than 188. So wouldn't it be better to just lay the phone off and sell it on your own and still get the new phone with Verizon? And if that holds true. What's the advantage of edge? Besides that they give a nice $25 dollar discount(if that holds up forever)

If you are not on contract you also get the same discounts as Edge plans. $15 for less than 10 GB $25 for more. So once you pay off your Edge device you log in and activate the month 2 month discount. That's assuming you're not interested in upgrading. I've been off contract since July so my line get s $25 a month discount.

As far as your example. Who says you need a new phone every year? Why spend $750 on a phone just to get rid of it a year or 18 months later? The iPhone 6 won't be obsolete for a few years.

Also though you're not taking into account that $25X12=$300. So you really only paid $262. About what you have paid on an 2 year upgrade except you can upgrade every year.

0 Likes
JaseXhesi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got off the phone with Verizon to get a price adjusted for something I purchased last week which is on special now. $30 back, yay! Asked for a bit more detail on edge while I was at it. If you opt to exchange when you're at 75% on edge you'll be biting yourself in the bum. Pay the full 100% & the phone is yours to do with what you will. Opt for 75% they want the phone because you didn't  pay it in full.

As far as the discount on line fee: it goes back up to $40 when edge phone payments are done. Bummer on that. 😞

0 Likes
JaseXhesi
Enthusiast - Level 2

I need to remember this month to month bit when phone paid off. Thanks for mentioning it!

0 Likes
Lmc22391
Enthusiast - Level 2

See, thats the way I was thinking. If you pay it 100% off, and want to get a new phone, you could probably sell the old one for more than what the 25% of the phone is worth. Hence why Im not really sure what edge is worth....

0 Likes
JaseXhesi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Agreed. I think it's just a personal preference. I'm commitment phobic, 2

yrs locked in freaks me out. Plus I didn't want to come out of pocket a

couple hundred for the phone I wanted on a 2 yr plan I didn't want. And I

think it's bs that you have to pay upgrade fee when you're a customer for

2 years already. I like the illusion of freedom I have on edge. They get

the same amount of $ from you either way. Unless you get a $20 a month edge

phone on 10gb plan which drops line fee to $15. Then you come out ahead

$120 over 2 years with edge plus the $30 no upgrade.

I ported my number so I got the $150 promo for that plus another $50 promo

for getting the Galaxy Note4. So for me personally it was a $230 incentive.

They paid me to do edge, lol

0 Likes
JaseXhesi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also it pays to pay attention online. I wanted to get my mom a tablet &

they were running a special 2 weeks ago for $29.99-the LG G3 with a free LG

G 8.3 tablet. With 2 year activation. My brother needed an upgrade. Sent

him the phone. Mom tablet. They took off activation for tablet because I

had a promo. So $30 for my brothers upgrade plus $29.99 for phone. Thought

it was a spectacular deal. Til I saw today the same combo is free. Within

14 days purchase they will price match. No more 29.99. Cost me $30 to

accomplish what I wanted & some time on the phone.

Now tablets on edge I just don't get at all. No break even on those at all

0 Likes
rawkluvah
Enthusiast - Level 1

The issue I take with the Edge Up and Verizon is that the representatives don't know one from the other what the program or policy is.  I was told that all I had to do if I want to switch from my Edge contract back to a 2-YR. contract is to have paid 50% of the retail cost of the Edge phone which in my case I had to make one payment of $24.87 and return that phone.  They refurbish those phones and in my case this phone was in near perfect condition.  I went into the local Verizon store, ordered the new iPhone 6, paid the cost for that phone at $199.99, taxes in my area of $8.33, last Edge Up payment $24.87 for a total of $233.19.  That's what the representative on the phone told me as well. That is what my receipt shows.  I placed my order with a store manager.  TWO MONTHS LATER, I'm getting a line item on my bill for an additional $300.  It states (for months 12-24)???. I'm being told I have to pay for the Edge up phone in full before I can go back on a 2-YR. contract.  And what, return the phone to you as well?  WHY would anyone do something so ridiculous?  Return a phone in new condition after paying full retail price for it. I should own that phone. Another representative is telling me they can't find the phone and that the charge is on there until they have located it. So now will I be charged another $300 if they don't find the phone for a total of $600? Had I known I had to return the Edge Up phone and pay full retail for it I never would have done so.  Do you think Verizon is going to own their mistake? NO WAY.  I am going to pay for it.  A customer for 15 years now.  I am so unhappy that I just upgraded three phones.  I have to decide now, do I write a check for $1,000 to leave this company?  I would except then I would have to buy new phones at another company and guess what, they hire the same people over there.  I've spent hours after hours, days adding up to weeks since the first day I decided to upgrade three phones in September.  It's now January 3rd.  I'm looking for an address to write a letter to the Director.  I'm on the NYSE where I've found the names of the CEO and other top executives.  I won't stop until I've found an address.  I will get a letter to them.  In the meantime, I spent over an hour on the phone with a representative who transferred me to a supervisor and my son did a chat this morning.  The supervisor was asked to call me back on my cell phone as my land line ran out of a charge.  I also asked her to put it the notes that she was to call me back. Do you think she called me back?  Of course not.  Part of our conversation was me pointing out how disrespected I've been.  Thanks for proving my point. My son was told this: "The $300 charge will stay on your bill until the phone is located".  When asked "is the charge then for the phone itself and will come off once it's found or is it for the remainder of the balance of the Edge Up contract?"  Her response was "you have to pay for the full balance of the contract" (which was at least $300). Once the phone is found, the charge will come off"...Are you kidding me?  I don't even know what she just said UNLESS I can expect another bill down the line for another $300 for the contract AFTER they locate the phone and take this $300 off.  IF they find that phone. "Who's on first?"

tbo27
Master - Level 2

What's on 2nd? I dunno 3rd base! What a mess though.  Sounds like you needed to edge up to the i6 and not start another 2 year contract. This would put you on a new edge where you'd pay around $30/mo. This was all done on same line right?  Seems like they had you /you had them buy you out of edge to get upgrade. That's  the 12-24 $300. The other $300 not sure. Did they have say $299.99 ? They have an address in contact us on vzw.Com that you can write to

0 Likes