Edge Plan is a RIP OFF!!
Mel1182
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm so disgusted with this stupid contract! I keep calling and going to the store for months and no resolution what-so-ever. In the store they tell me they can't help me and I need to call customer support. I call customer support and I either get someone who doesn't get what in the world I am trying to explain, or they tell me I need to go to the store because they don't know what the situation with the employee who changed my plan was. I've been a customer of Verizon for very many years, NEVER missing or being late on one single payment, and I can't wait to get the heck away from this company, and take my hard earned money elsewhere!

I had two lines, both with Galaxy S3 phones. One decided to start giving errors for no reason. They could not figure out the issue at the store. Claimed it was some kind of system issue. The employee said I needed a new phone, and that it was a VERIZON error with the phone. I asked the employee about the refurbished phones with the warranty that I have been paying all this money towards for so many years. He informed me that the warranty didn't cover that anymore and I either had to switch to the Edge Plan or just sit around with a broken phone until I was eligible in 3 or so months. Really?! I've only replaced ONE phone over 5 years ago through my warranty and I can't use my insurance that I have been paying all this money over the period of all these years for? How does that work, Verizon?! Come to find out it is covered! I get on the Verizon Wireless website and it is indeed listed under the warranty; however, that doesn't matter though because nobody at Verizon will help me anyway. It's just a vicious cycle of telling me I need to call and visit my local store.

Then after giving me no other option, I was pretty much forced into a corner to get on the Edge Plan to remain a customer with a working device. Not only that, then I have to give up a device I PAID FOR to pay you just to borrow one?! Where is the logic there? Why am I giving you guys a phone I paid hundreds of dollars for just to pay you more money for something I am borrowing? Why are you getting my property for me to get onto this new horrible plan you're forcing me into? Nobody is paying me for MY phone! I owned that Verizon!

Now come to find out...

"After 30 days, if you've paid at least 75% of the Edge device, you'll have the option to Edge Up to a new device without any upgrade fees."

WHAT?! How does this even make sense, Verizon?! If my math estimate is correct, $30 or so dollars a month towards the device on the Edge Plan does not come anywhere near 75% in a 30 day period. Verizon, are you telling me for an $800 phone I would have to pay out of pocket $600 to upgrade after 30 days? Or one of you new disgusting upgrade fees, where it cost just as much or more to upgrade as it does to be a new customer? How you value your long time customers, way to award them for being loyal and paying you so much of their money! Oh the things they'll never tell you when they are twisting your arm!

I'm really sick and tired of trying to find a solution and just being bounced around. I'm seconds away from contacting legal advice and switching providers! Way to treat your loyal customers of many many years, Verizon!

>> Edited to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
Re: Edge Plan is a RIP OFF!!
tbo27
Master - Level 2

Did you get the edge discount ? That 75% after 30 is for those for ex. Where $ isn't an object and they see a new device they gotta have

0 Likes
Mel1182
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got some so called junk "discount" off the payments of the device. I still end up paying an expensive amount for the phone! My upgrade was in 3 months! My phones were covered according to what I have been paying them monthly, but not covered in their eyes.

I value every dollar in my wallet and I don't need the newest versions of phones as soon as they hit the shelves. I just want something that functions well. I liked my plan where I was able to just keep my phone and upgrade after two years or use my insurance for what I was paying for if I had an issue. I was told that wasn't an option.

I was told by the employee who changed my plan that I should be getting a discount for signing up for something, but of course that never happened! "Yeah yeah pay over $100 for this accessory package and we will discount it if you sign up for this!" I never received my car charger that came with my expensive package, nor did I receive the discount I was promised. And when I went back in over this Edge issue I brought up the discount never being applied and that employee told me I should be seeing a gift card in the mail, which also NEVER HAPPENED!

Not applicable

Mel1182 wrote:

Now come to find out...

"After 30 days, if you've paid at least 75% of the Edge device, you'll have the option to Edge Up to a new device without any upgrade fees."

WHAT?! How does this even make sense, Verizon?! If my math estimate is correct, $30 or so dollars a month towards the device on the Edge Plan does not come anywhere near 75% in a 30 day period. Verizon, are you telling me for an $800 phone I would have to pay out of pocket $600 to upgrade after 30 days? Or one of you new disgusting upgrade fees, where it cost just as much or more to upgrade as it does to be a new customer? How you value your long time customers, way to award them for being loyal and paying you so much of their money! Oh the things they'll never tell you when they are twisting your arm!

What's you're issue? Do you think you should be able to get new $800 phones every 30 days for the price of $30? The terms are clear. You can upgrade after 30 days as long as you paid off 75% of the devices cost. If you make you're regular payments that's 18 months. They could just make you wait 18 months Verizon is giving those that want to upgrade sooner an option. Why do you want to upgrade a phone after only 30 days. Choose your devices more wisely.

0 Likes
Mel1182
Enthusiast - Level 2

No. I don't think you read exactly what my issue was. I never wanted this early upgrade option to begin with! That and the fact that the term was never clear when my plan was changed!

And what the heck is the big difference between upgrading a few months early?! Especially if I have insurance! That's not a great deal. I'm actually paying more this way. AT&T the loyal customers upgrade to newer phones for about $100-200. My sister got the SAME phone as me for her upgrade a month before I got mine. She paid a little over $100 for her upgrade, and the phone belongs to her! Me however, I am paying full price for the phone and if I want to upgrade a few months early...I am only paying a borrowing fee $600. Tell me how that's a good deal? I'm not a child. I don't need a new version of the same junk every few months. I just need a phone that works. Which SHOULD be covered by the insurance I pay for.

This wasn't a choice. There was no options. Their employee basically told me it was this or I'd be paying for a phone that was out of commission for a few months. What would you do? Huh? You choose your responses more wisely, especially if you are clueless in your responses.

Not applicable

Mel1182 wrote:

No. I don't think you read exactly what my issue was.

no because you wrote a novel. The point is Edge is not a rip off. Period. Especially if one has a 10 GB plan or more. In fact one would have to be dumb to have a 10 GB plan and go on a 2 year contract instead of Edge.

0 Likes
Mel1182
Enthusiast - Level 2

Apparently inaccurate comments have since been retracted. Lol

I'm not surprised at how my complaints have fallen on deaf ears again. Even when I click to chat I get busy for hours. I call no answer. Thanks Verizon! Thank you for nothing, again! Smiley Happy

Lmc22391
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sounds to me like you got stuck with an unfortunate store who cares about sales numbers. I mean, whats going to help the store, you just getting a measly insurance replacement, or them selling you a brand new phone. Problem is, people just give up and stop fighting ( I realize they're shouldn't be any fighting in the first place). If you saw online in the terms that you were covered under the insurance. You should have printed it out, highlighted it, and brought it in, if that didn't work, there is always upper management.

Lmc22391
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also, the edge plan is a good plan, if you would like to update more often than 2 years. If not, contract is the way to go. The only thing I don't like about edge plan is you have to have 75% paid off. when most other companies, its 50%.

0 Likes
Not applicable

At&t's 24 month plan is also 75%. They do have a plan where you can upgrade after 12 months but it's a 20 payment plan which means higher money payments.

Also Edge is way better than contract if you have a 10 GB plan or more. No way anyone that as a 10 GB or higher plan should be doing a 2 year contract. Of course best way is to just pay for the phone in full( if you can ) and getting the month to month discount.

0 Likes