Re: 'Early Upgrade'
pherson
Champion - Level 1

But you can guarantee that the phone junkies out there will not wait till its paid off. A new phone will come and they will do anything to get it.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

But that is no reason to perpetuate the illusion some people have that you ALWAYS have to turn in an Edge phone when in fact you do not. You always have the option to simply pay off your balance. In fact, it is probably better to do so than to EVER turn in your phone and then sell it to use the proceeds towards a new phone, which is probably what "phone junkies" do anyway as they are most likely aware of what used phones are worth on sites such as swappa.com.

This goes the same even if you upgrade early. Simply pay off the last 25% in one payment and then sell the phone for 50% of the full retail price, giving you a bit of something in return.Smiley Happy

pherson
Champion - Level 1

For most phones or situations that will never work. You're better off waiting for a phone to be out for a few months and buying at a discount from various sites.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Not sure what you are basing that on, since looking on swappa.com MANY 2 yr old phones are selling between 25% and 50% of the full retail price. Furthermore, since you were talking about "phone junkies" they are more likely to be purchasing the more sought after models and therefore bring in the more money when it comes time to sell them when upgrading, ESPECIALLY since they would be selling them BEFORE they were 2 yrs old since "phone junkies" wouldn't be able to wait for the full 2 years.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
We never want you to leave us aheslin. I'm sorry to hear your device isn't working. What issues were you having on it?  Let's see what upgrade options you have? Run an analysis here: http://vz.to/1G3f4lj  JoeL_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
bigpigpam

I did the early upgrade from IPhone 5 to 6splus at Sams and I didn't have to change my contract.  I only had additional money added to my bill for the monthly payment for the phone.  At Sams you don't have any of the additional fees when upgrading so if you just want to get a new phone you can and simply add the monthly phone cost to your existing contract.  Heres the rub...They told me I should send in my phone but I wouldn't get anything for it.  I never sent it in and two months later I have a 299 fee on my bill for not sending it in.  Can they do that?  Even if I could have sent it in for some payment from them, they would only give me 150.  I don't have anything saying I "had to" send my old phone back to them

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You decided to purchase a new phone under the Early Upgrade option. That required you to purchase the new phone on the Device Payment Plan which spreads the full retail price of the phone over 24 months and you are required to send in (trade in) your old phone. Those are the terms of the Early Upgrade. Hopefully this experience will prevent you from making the same decision again.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.