Re: Re: 'Early Upgrade'
rcschnoor
Legend

abemom wrote:

Jorge - here is the exact scenario I want.  Help me understand if I am reading this correctly or not.  Thank you to everyone else that is trying to help me with this - it is crazy how complicated this is!

I have a 10GB Everything and more plan covering 5 phones.  $40 monthly access for each.  All with 6 months remaining on contract.

RIGHT NOW, I want to move 3 phones to Edge and upgrade the device.  I am happy to turn the phone in to do so - they are all iphone 4 (not 4S).

Can I do this NOW and pay the phone off over the next 2 years (the EDGE plan as it is described)?Yes, if Early Edge is available and your current phones are in good working order without any physical damage. You may not be able to purchase the phone of your choice as Verizon has only been allowing 1 phone model for Early Edge, the most recent that I am aware is the Droid Maxx.

Alternately, can I pay full price NOW for a new phone AND move to a $15 access fee for each phone NOW?  I may choose to do this for only one of the phones....just want to know what I can do NOW.  In this scenario, the phone would not be under any contract - correct?No. Even if you purchase a phone at full retail cost, your line will still be under contract for another 6 months. You would not be able to reduce your monthly line access fee on that line until you complete your contract in 6 months. You CAN purchase a phone at full retail cost right now, but that will not affect when your current contract ends and as such not allow you to drop your line access fee on that line right now.

I know that when my contract is up I can move to EDGE.  I want to know what I can do NOW.  I was told by a verizon representative that I could do this at 18 months with my current contract - he was looking at my account when I was told this.  I have since gotten a different answer from a different verizon representative.

I paid to get out of my Cincinnati Bell contract to move to Verizon - generally I have been happy with Verizon.  Just trying to sort though all the different scenarios - my son really needs an upgraded phone now.

THIS FORUM IS GREAT - THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR THE HELP!

Re: 'Early Upgrade'
abemom
Enthusiast - Level 2

THANK  YOU - so much clearer now!  One (I think last) scenario:

I buy my son a phone at full price now and pay out my current contract line fee of $40 per month.

In August, does my contract then go to a month to month fee?  Or do I have to change my plan to make this happen?

What is the month to month fee?

If I don't upgrade my phone now or in August, what happens to my line access?  Does it stay $40 a month?  Do I have to move to EDGE to get the reduced fee even if I don't upgrade my phone?  What is the month to month line access fee for iphones that are paid for?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

When you complete your contract and go month to month, your line access fee will not automatically change. You simply become eligible for the month to month discount which is the same amount as the Edge discount.

YOU have to either call CS and have them add the discount, but many have reported reaching agents who are unaware of this discount. What I would recommend is to log into your MyVerizon account, navigate to change features and add the discount yourself. You can't go there to see the discount right now as you are not eligible. The discount only becomes available to add once you have completed your contract and gone to a month to month status. If you purchase a contract phone after adding the discount, it will automatically be removed.

I first had this discount last April when it was introduced. I later purchased a contract phone on that line 2 months later and lost the discount on that line. I had another 3 lines complete their contracts in December and I immediately added the discount as soon as their contracts completed. When adding the discount, you will be informed that it may take 1-2 billing cycles to be added to your account, but it was on the first bill I received after adding the discounts each time.

I have since purchased full retail price phones on my month to month lines to keep the $25/month/line discount bringing my monthly bill with 4 lines and 10 GB of shared data down to $168/month including taxes. Fortunately, I also receive a 22% discount on my data thru my employer to get that low.

If you don't upgrade your phone now or in August, you will still transition to month to month and still be able to add the discount in the same manner.

abemom
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for all your help.  I just did a quick spread sheet - it actually pays out to just pay full price on a phone for him now.  Once the month to month discount is applied in August, over the next 2 years of a phone I would pay $1279 for his phone (cost + access at $15/month beginning in Aug) vs. $1332 to wait for EDGE in August and $1479 for a new 2 year contract at the phone price + 40/month access fee. 

Information on the month to month discount is hard to find.  My only fear is what I believe to be true will not be true from Verizon since I have already gotten conflicting answers from them.  I can hold out and decide closer to when he actually leaves - again, thank you for helping me sort through the options.  I also get an employer discount on data which is what drove us to Verizon.  I do think I will just pay for phones in the future. 

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I wish everyone did the spreadsheet analysis! That is how you make the best decision. I too have bought all my recent phones at full cost upfront to keep the $25/month discount.

Verizon purposefully it seems makes the month to month discount hard to find. But it is definitely there. I have helped so many friends and family out this way. It is an easy way to score points when you save someone $25 to $100 per month! However, Verizon has said it is technically a promotion with no end date declared. They could take it away. I suspect though, they have it there to help keep people that are trying to leave, and they would rather those that do not know about it to keep overpaying by $25 per month.

Keep tabs on the Verizon website and this forum. Some deals from Verizon only last short time, but if you grab them, you can keep them. For example, I have 30 GB data, 3 iPhones, and 2 tablets for $180/month. If I just bought that without knowing anything it would be $365!

rcschnoor
Legend

Weth wrote:

Keep tabs on the Verizon website and this forum. Some deals from Verizon only last short time, but if you grab them, you can keep them. For example, I have 30 GB data, 3 iPhones, and 2 tablets for $180/month. If I just bought that without knowing anything it would be $365!

I agree. I had thought about jumping on those 15 GB/30 GB promotions last year except I don't use anywhere close to that amount of data. I finally did get the 10 GB/$80 promotion which just ended and don't even use half of that allowance. It is just cheaper than the 4 GB/$60 allowance I really need since my month to month discount is $10/line greater. I haven't decided yet if I am going to drop my allowance down to 6 GB/$70 since they lowered the discount threshold. Just hate giving up 4 GB for only $10 more in case I ever get the urge to stream some live sporting events on WatchESPN.

abemom
Enthusiast - Level 2

It was that promotion that really got me thinking along the lines of EDGE - we had the 6GB plan and got moved to the 10GB plan since it was the same price,  We don't use that much data on a going basis, but it is nice to have on the occasional month that has lots of travel in it -we went over once last year.  With the improvement in the phones, I expect more data will be needed.

Again, thanks for all the help.  I don't like being under the limitations of a contract. It used to be cheaper - not really anymore. 

Re: Re: 'Early Upgrade'
tom228
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been with verizon for 10 years and have 7 devices with them.  Over the years my bills have ranged from $300 to $500.  a month.  Never a late payment.  never.  I just went through hell trying to get an early upgrade.  Pure hell.  They treated me like dirt.  I'm going to the sprint store tonight and see what they'll do for me.  I guess you can say I've been a loyal customer and I don't mind a 2 year commitment.  Just hoping for a little back - will do another 2 year contract, just looking for an early upgrade so I can continue giving verizon my $$ for 2 more years.

0 Likes
abemom
Enthusiast - Level 2

How far are you into your current contract?  I was offered an upgrade to edge at 19 months.  While it costs me more over the two years per my spreadsheet, the difference was small enough for me to opt into doing it for a number of factors.  Mostly I didn't want to front the cost of 3 phones.  I'm curious what you have tried.  I was very frustrated too, and suddenly, the wbestie offered me the edge option at 19 months.  You need to do the math to see what works for you.

tom228
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks abemom.  I'm 13 months into a 24 month contract and they denied me an early upgrade.  By the contract they are right, but you would think after approx $60,000 in on-time paid bills over 10 years, they would let me have an early (yes, 11 month early) upgrade.  The first customer service guy I talked to mentioned the edge thing but couldn't explain it.  I'll probably suck up the $800 some cost for a new iphone 6plus because it's for my son, but plan on curtailing service with verizon in the next several months.  Thanks much for your advice and thoughts.

0 Likes