'Early Upgrade'
lacey_torres33

Has anyone else ever been given the option to do the early upgrades? I've been with Verizon for over 6 years and have ALWAYS been given the option 6 months before my contract end date to do an early upgrade and get a phone for a cheaper cost. I had this option before Christmas of 2014 and decided to hold off until after the holidays. I'm now being told that it might have just been a 'promotional' deal and that I will have to wait to upgrade in June or pay full price!! and that Verizon doesn't understand why it's saying i'm eligible for an upgrade for December 2015! anyone else having this issue? i'm considering switching phone providers as loyalty appears to get me nowhere within a company.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 'Early Upgrade'
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You used to be eligible for an upgrade at 20 months or 4 months before the contract end date. Verizon Wireless changed it to the full 24 months in April 2013 and was effective on all contracts end in January 2014 and later.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

abemom
Enthusiast - Level 2

In January, I was told that at 18 months I could switch 3 of my 5 phones over to an EDGE plan.  So I called back at the 18 month point in February and was then told that I could not change over until my contract ends at 24 months.  So I got different answers from 2 different phone representatives 3 weeks apart.  I dont want a new free phone - I want to do an EDGE plan where I pay for my phone. I dont know who to contact for the right answer either. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

Edge is PAYMENT plan to pay off the cost of a NEW device over 24 months instead of all at once. So you can't move a contract to Edge. Sometimes you can end a contract early and go on Edge. First Verizon typically only has one or a few devices you can choose from for "early edge". Second you have to turn in your device in good working condition. Also you need to have 6 straight months of on time payments. If you have less than 6 months to go I'd just wait. That way you don't have to turn in your device. Also if you could you should just pay full price upfront and forget Edge. You can still get the monthly discount. It's just called a month to month discount

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

As a limited time promotion, Verizon sometimes will offer "early edge" which is getting out of your early contract early and getting on the Edge plan. The are 2 big catches though. You must send back your current phone, and you can only get the promotional phone that Verizon offers, not any phone you want.  

Verizon has otherwise really stopped any early upgrades. 

abemom
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your response!  I'm still not sure what is best for my plan - I have 5 phones on contract, 3 that need to be upgraded.

The value of the EDGE program, as I see it, is that my monthly line access fee drops to $10.  The added cost of the phone, spread out over the 24 months, is cost neutral vs. the $40 access fee for each phone on my plan.  If I buy the phone up front, it looks like I still pay the $40 per line fee?  Turning in the device is no big deal to me, the phone is outdated. I agree if the month to month is discounted it is worth the upfront purchase.

I did have the early edge offered for 4 of the 5 phones I have and the phone that was offered was not one anyone wanted.  But it was when I called about that I was told that at 18 months on my current contract I could upgrade and move to EDGE.  I was promised a call back and have not gotten one.

Verizon says I can upgrade the phone by paying full price.  Is this in addition to an early termination fee?  or does the early termination fee only apply if I change carriers?

How do I get information on all the scenarios?  I have a son moving across the country soon for a co-op and would like to upgrade his phone.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

abemom wrote:

The value of the EDGE program, as I see it, is that my monthly line access fee drops to $10.  The added cost of the phone, spread out over the 24 months, is cost neutral vs. the $40 access fee for each phone on my plan.  If I buy the phone up front, it looks like I still pay the $40 per line fee?  Turning in the device is no big deal to me, the phone is outdated. I agree if the month to month is discounted it is worth the upfront purchase.

If you have a $40 line access fee, you have a smartphone on that line and the line access fee only drops to $15 if you have a 6 GB or higher data plan. It does not drop to $10.

If you buy the phone up front at full retail cost, not the discounted contract cost, you would be eligible for a discount of the same amount as Edge once you complete your contract but you need to add it yourself in your MyVerizon account. So your line access fee would drop to the same level as if you were on Edge, just no monthly Edge payments.

abemom wrote:

I did have the early edge offered for 4 of the 5 phones I have and the phone that was offered was not one anyone wanted.  But it was when I called about that I was told that at 18 months on my current contract I could upgrade and move to EDGE.

The phones offered for Early Edge change occasionally as does the program availability itself. A Verizon rep may not know until a day or so before such a change is made and very well may have given you correct information as of the time it was given.

abemom wrote:

Verizon says I can upgrade the phone by paying full price.  Is this in addition to an early termination fee?  or does the early termination fee only apply if I change carriers?

The ETF only applies if you cancel your Verizon service for a line currently under contract. Purchasing a phone at full price does nothing to your account. Once you complete your contract on that line in 6 months, simply go into your MyVerizon account and add the month to month discount on that line.Smiley Happy

abemom wrote:

How do I get information on all the scenarios?  I have a son moving across the country soon for a co-op and would like to upgrade his phone.

The only way I can think of to get information on all of these scenarios is to read Verizon's website and/or ask questions on this forum. Looking at some of the replies from Verizon reps on these forums, more often than not, other Verizon customers are better informed and more helpful than the Verizon reps.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

abemom

Great questions! I want to make sure you get all the right information that way you make the best decision. When doing the Verizon Edge depending on the plan you are in, you will receive a $15 or $25 credit on the line that is under the Verizon Edge. This discount will not be apply if you end up purchasing the device at a discounted rate by doing the 2 year agreement. If you end up doing the Edge program this will not create an early termination fee. However, you will be responsible for the remainder of your device. Here is additional information that will be helpful in regards to the edge http://vz.to/16mhzRE .

JorgeO_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

rcschnoor wrote:

Looking at some of the replies from Verizon reps on these forums, more often than not, other Verizon customers are better informed and more helpful than the Verizon reps.

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

abemom

Great questions! I want to make sure you get all the right information that way you make the best decision. When doing the Verizon Edge depending on the plan you are in, you will receive a $15 or $25 credit on the line that is under the Verizon Edge. This discount will not be apply if you end up purchasing the device at a discounted rate by doing the 2 year agreement. If you end up doing the Edge program this will not create an early termination fee. However, you will be responsible for the remainder of your device. Here is additional information that will be helpful in regards to the edge http://vz.to/16mhzRE .

JorgeO_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Case in point.

abemom
Enthusiast - Level 2

Jorge - here is the exact scenario I want.  Help me understand if I am reading this correctly or not.  Thank you to everyone else that is trying to help me with this - it is crazy how complicated this is!

I have a 10GB Everything and more plan covering 5 phones.  $40 monthly access for each.  All with 6 months remaining on contract.

RIGHT NOW, I want to move 3 phones to Edge and upgrade the device.  I am happy to turn the phone in to do so - they are all iphone 4 (not 4S).

Can I do this NOW and pay the phone off over the next 2 years (the EDGE plan as it is described)?

Alternately, can I pay full price NOW for a new phone AND move to a $15 access fee for each phone NOW?  I may choose to do this for only one of the phones....just want to know what I can do NOW.  In this scenario, the phone would not be under any contract - correct?

I know that when my contract is up I can move to EDGE.  I want to know what I can do NOW.  I was told by a verizon representative that I could do this at 18 months with my current contract - he was looking at my account when I was told this.  I have since gotten a different answer from a different verizon representative. 

I paid to get out of my Cincinnati Bell contract to move to Verizon - generally I have been happy with Verizon.  Just trying to sort though all the different scenarios - my son really needs an upgraded phone now.

THIS FORUM IS GREAT - THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR THE HELP! Smiley Happy

0 Likes