Early Termination Fees - What Would I Pay In Total?
DeathKitty1989
Enthusiast - Level 3

I asked a similar question in regards to the ETF of a number I didn't realize was going to be preset to be billed (purchased phone from Amazon, didn't realize it was setting me up with a contract at the time, but now I do.)

Now, I completely understand the bill of $350 for the termination itself, and obviously the bill that comes to $118.93 exactly will be added to it.

My question is, would there be any other charges?

The bill for $118.93 is the first month's bill, due in a week exactly. I don't have the money to actually pay for it, so I will be going to my local Verizon store to help me with the ETF and detach the number that's in a contract from my name.

I will also be going to the bank to ask if I could borrow the money, or if they can co-sign a check to help pay the bill.

I just really want to know; are there any other fees I'll incur, besides the ETF and the $118.93 bill?

Or is that JUST it? My bill would then be $468.93?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Early Termination Fees - What Would I Pay In Total?
mama23dogs
Legend

You have 14 days from day of purchase to return a phone and cancel any agreement.  I recommend you do so.

contact Verizon about the return so they don't bill you for the ETFs.

Good luck, the system isn't designed to work in reverse very well.

I'm a single Mom with limited funds.  I keep under budget by avoiding any debt (and crazy interest fees)

If you need a phone, may I share my experience to help?   I recently purchased a new, but older model Samsung Galaxy S3 on eBay from a top rated seller for only $219.  ebay doesn't do phone plans, all phones are cash purchases.  It works perfectly, easily as good as any of the brand new phones.  I have also purchased a new iPhone 4S on Amazon for $300 for my mom.  This way my bill is only for service.

DeathKitty1989
Enthusiast - Level 3

I see~

Unfortunately, my last day of the 14 day return was on Thursday.

I don't really mind paying an ETF if I can get a loan from my bank to help cover the cost.

The phone I got, being a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, was just swapped over to a Prepaid Plan so I could transfer the number I'd been using before on a previous phone. So I need to be able to keep the phone.

The ETF should just be to cancel the contract and take the number that was registered to the contract off, right?

I'm currently 7 months pregnant with my first child, and I literally have as of right now $7 in my bank. Unfortunately, hours being cut and whatnot have kind of taken a bit of a bad turn for me.

So if I can understand that I shouldn't be charged anything other than the ETF and the first initial bill of $118.93, that'd help me out greatly!

I really appreciate your input, mama23dogs!

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I Don't expect there will be more charges.   How close to the end of contract were you?

calculating ETFs is something like this...

$375 - $10 a month for each month complete.  So if you only had 3 months left you might have $30-40 ETF.

I hope you were close to end of contract.

Have a Note 3 myself.   Awesome phone, but expensive.

DeathKitty1989
Enthusiast - Level 3

I actually just got my first month's bill that's due in 7 days a few days ago.

So I can understand I'd be paying the $350 or so because it's so early in the contract.

I just don't really want to be stuck with a contract, since I was able to put the phone in a prepaid plan and use my previous prepaid plan phone number.

The number that the $118.93 bill is for is a number I don't actually use because I changed out the SIM card to use my prepaid number with the phone.

I'm literally a baby in this kind of thing! Haha, it sucks that I honestly don't understand fully how these things work. But even though this isn't a good event for me, personally, I'm liking the fact that it's opening my eyes to understanding how plans work on a contract and what to expect from them.

I've been with Verizon for over 7 years now, all on Prepaid and only changed my device 1 time prior to this.

The phone I had first was a little $20 one from Walmart, ironically enough a Samsung (can't remember the name, but it was a little flippy phone), had that for 3 and a half years. Cat chewed the charger, and by that point, they didn't make or sell the spare parts for it.

So I then went up to a $100 Samsung Intensity II, and that lasted me 3 and a half years. The sound doesn't work on it, and the buttons are getting really useless for me.

And this Samsung Galaxy Note 3, I've had turned on for just over 2 weeks with it being put on my Prepaid plan for $45/month. It's worked better than my other 2 phones I've had, and actually, runs even better than my damn laptop! Which makes me laugh, honestly. Even though my laptop is 4 years old now...

Back to the topic; would this mean if I cancelled early, would my total charge be;

$468.93, for the $350 ETF, and the combined first month's bill of $118.93?

And would there be a charge for me keeping the phone, as it's now on my Prepaid plan?

And apologies in advance for the block of text...!

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

IT would depend on how you purchased the phone.  Did you buy online as a 2 year contract, or as Edge installment plan?   A 2 year contract would have had a $200-300 payment up front, and would be a full $350 ETFs.

DeathKitty1989
Enthusiast - Level 3

I purchased the phone through Amazon, selecting first that it was an individual line plan, and that I wished to register a new account (after talking to my local Verizon store, the lady who helped me said that would be the better thing to do.) for the cost of the phone being $49 + tax.

There were 2 more options; one being I already have an account and wish to upgrade my device (I'm personally thinking I should have just gone for that one), which would have put my cost up to $99.

And the third option was that I already had an account and wished to add a new line of service to this device which would have kept it again at $99.

Total for the phone was $53.99, due to my selection of a new account, and it had then asked what plan I wanted. I chose the $60/month plan since it was the cheapest option for me there.

So... I was able to get it pretty cheap. But I guess I'm kicking myself for not cancelling the number that came preactivated with the service I'd chosen to set up first.

This would mean, if I'm understanding correctly, my bill for the termination would be, again,

$468.93?

mama23dogs, you've no idea how helpful you're being to me! Thank you in advance! ^_^

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Your welcome, but I hate telling someone to brace for a big bill...

SInce you have 2 different services, you will have a bill for EFS and initial phone payment on the old number, so sadly, yes. $468

DeathKitty1989
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you ever so much, mama23~!! Very much appreciated!

With that info, that should mean I can still keep the Note 3, as it's now my prepaid device, right?

Thank you again, very much appreciated!

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

It isn't like they can get it back.

it must be the mom in me, but I hate the idea of you being in debt, or getting a bad credit report because of not having funds to pay off.

LOL....be glad I'm not your mom, oh, what a lecture I can deliver.   My sons would agree.  They are young adults, but living at home and trying to pay their own way.  Life is harder than when I was 20 something.

good luck with the bank.  I'll be worried about ya.