Early Edge promised without delivery - employees don't understand!
KennyC

Hi,

I know this has been asked different ways before, but here is my situation.  We purchase a phone (Droid Turbo 2) on black friday in 2015, and we were told about the "early edge" program.  The Verizon store rep said that we would pay the monthly edge fees, and that after 1 year, my son would be eligible for a new phone, but he would have to trade-in the Droid Turbo 2 to take advantage of it.  He loved the idea of getting a new phone each year, so we signed up.  Early Edge shows right up on my Receipt (as a $0.00 entry).   We have made our 12 months of payments, and returned to Verizon store today to get his early edge upgrade - He wanted to try out the Galaxy S7.  We were told there was no "early edge" on the Droid Turbo 2 and that was only good for iPhones.   We told the person helping us, and then the manager that they were very clear about the early edge program and being eligible for an upgrade after only 1 year as long as we had paid off more than 50% of the phone.   They both said we were mistaken, and if he wanted to upgrade, we would have to pay off the remainder of the phone (at $210 or so), and then we could keep the phone, or we could turn it in for a $90 credit.   They also assured us the Galaxy S7 we were buying WOULD qualify for early edge next year, and we could come back on next year's black friday and we would not have this problem.  We completed the "deal" - I paid off the phone, and then took the $90 credit (so we were out about $120 unexpectedly), and we purchased the S7.  When all the paperwork was done, I asked for something in writing that would show we indeed would qualify for the early edge trade-in next year, and I would not end up arguing fruitlessly with the clerk or manager about something promised verbally a year ago with no paperwork to back it up.   He agreed, and then came back a little while later to say there was no paperwork available, and it may not be eligible because of the black friday promotion.  He said if we were eligible, it would show up in my paperwork.  That said, I presume we won't be eligible for "early edge" even though some people seem to think we should be...

Anyway, seems like the employees and managers at Verizon stores don't really understand how this early edge thing is supposed to work, and I for one feel like I was a bit duped by it.    If you have to pay off the whole phone in order to trade-up, what is the purpose of "early edge" at all???   Seems like it is good for making promises and getting people to buy into the program with a promise of early upgrades, but then not delivering on the promise by making them pay off the remaining balance.

I went back and reviewed all my paperwork - all it says in there is "early edge" and talks about turning your phone in early for an upgrade.  Unfortunately, none of the paperwork has any details such as 50% pay off, 75% pay off, 100% pay off, or type of phone eligible.  With nothing in writing in the contract, it ends up being left up to the store clerk/manager on what, if anything, they feel like honoring for the program.

How is this supposed to work, and why didn't it work for me?

Thanks!

Ken

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Early Edge promised without delivery - employees don't understand!
mama23dogs
Legend

There is some confusion between "Early Edge" and Edge up.

You mentioned the receipt last year had Early Edge printed on it.  Early Edge is an early upgrade from a contract to the Edge plan and requires a return of previous phone.  This is regarding the previous phone, not the Motorola.

Upgrading before your Edge /Device payments are complete is called " Edge Up".

Read more here:  Device Payment FAQs | Verizon Wireless

The option to upgrade early from the Motorola was not legit as far as my memory.  Very few phones were eligible for yearly upgrade program.   The option to Edge up with device return ended in May 2015.  Any phone purchased after that point must be paid off in full, UNLESS it was one of the special phone's qualified for the "annual upgrade program".  This has included the iPhone and the now defunct Note 7.

They gave you the trade in value on the phone ($90).  You had the option to keep and sell the phone, this was not a required turn in.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Early Edge promised without delivery - employees don't understand!
mama23dogs
Legend

There is some confusion between "Early Edge" and Edge up.

You mentioned the receipt last year had Early Edge printed on it.  Early Edge is an early upgrade from a contract to the Edge plan and requires a return of previous phone.  This is regarding the previous phone, not the Motorola.

Upgrading before your Edge /Device payments are complete is called " Edge Up".

Read more here:  Device Payment FAQs | Verizon Wireless

The option to upgrade early from the Motorola was not legit as far as my memory.  Very few phones were eligible for yearly upgrade program.   The option to Edge up with device return ended in May 2015.  Any phone purchased after that point must be paid off in full, UNLESS it was one of the special phone's qualified for the "annual upgrade program".  This has included the iPhone and the now defunct Note 7.

They gave you the trade in value on the phone ($90).  You had the option to keep and sell the phone, this was not a required turn in.

0 Likes