Does the 12GB data plan have a limit on Mobile Hotspot speed?
clin93
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've gone a little bit over my allotted 12GB the last few months due to tethering my laptop to my phone's hotspot. I'm willing to pay the $15/1GB fee, but am exploring other options as well.

I know these forums have a tendency to fall off topic; The question here is:

I can see the limits clearly laid out on the GoUnlimited, and BeyondUnlimited plans (which by the way makes absolutely no sense. The word unlimited means that there is no limit. This is false advertising, a bad practice at best, and Verizon should be sued for it).

I cannot find listed anywhere what the limits on my current 12GB plan are. I'm not convinced that there is one as I'm using my laptop tethered to my phone right now to type this, and speedtest.net says 9.92Mbps.

If there is no limit on my current plan, then I would rather continue to pay the overage fee on a per GB basis. I cannot fathom using the internet at 600Kbps as stated in the GoUnlimited plan, and I'm unwilling to pay $63 more when I can buy 4GB in overage fees before hitting $63 for the BeyondUnlimited plan.

If this is the case, then Verizon, you have made a bad move. I have no incentive to give you more money for faux-unlimited data. I would love to not worry about using up my data, but not at the cost of throttling speeds. I bet a lot of people are in the same boat as I, which means you're losing quite a bit of money. And clearly, this is about money.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Does the 12GB data plan have a limit on Mobile Hotspot speed?
boringusername
Master - Level 1

You get full speed up until you hit your cap. In your case 12 GB. If you have safety mode then of course it falls back to 128 kbps after 12 GB if not you still have full speed but will be charged overages.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

clin93 wrote:

I've gone a little bit over my allotted 12GB the last few months due to tethering my laptop to my phone's hotspot. I'm willing to pay the $15/1GB fee, but am exploring other options as well.

I know these forums have a tendency to fall off topic; The question here is:

I can see the limits clearly laid out on the GoUnlimited, and BeyondUnlimited plans (which by the way makes absolutely no sense. The word unlimited means that there is no limit. This is false advertising, a bad practice at best, and Verizon should be sued for it).

I cannot find listed anywhere what the limits on my current 12GB plan are. I'm not convinced that there is one as I'm using my laptop tethered to my phone right now to type this, and speedtest.net says 9.92Mbps.

If there is no limit on my current plan, then I would rather continue to pay the overage fee on a per GB basis. I cannot fathom using the internet at 600Kbps as stated in the GoUnlimited plan, and I'm unwilling to pay $63 more when I can buy 4GB in overage fees before hitting $63 for the BeyondUnlimited plan.

If this is the case, then Verizon, you have made a bad move. I have no incentive to give you more money for faux-unlimited data. I would love to not worry about using up my data, but not at the cost of throttling speeds. I bet a lot of people are in the same boat as I, which means you're losing quite a bit of money. And clearly, this is about money.

Beyond Unlimited has 15 GB limit PER LINE before slowing down to 600 kbps. So maybe that plan is for you. You don't get why Verizon need limits on tethering on unlimited? Also I don't get where you are getting this "extra $63" for Go Unlimited from. How many lines do you have?

0 Likes
clin93
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have 2 SmartPhones, 1 DumbPhone, and 1 tablet on this plan. The Per line spec isn't super important to me. The throttling is. Plus the throttling that happens on the phones too.

Verizon plan upgrade.PNG

boringusername
Master - Level 1

You claimed GO was $63 more not Beyond. As I said there HAS to be throttling. Otherwise everyone would cancel their current ISP and use Verizon for their ISP and that would slow down the network. 600 kbps would seem fast compared to what would happen to the network if there wasn't any throttling on hotspot. By the way ALL the carriers have throttling on hotspot..

I find it weird that you have an issue that Beyond has throttling after 15 GB PER LINE when you only have 12 GB TOTAL right now.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely don't want you to experience any overages, Clin93. Boringusername, did offer the correct information about safety mode to avoid any overages on your account. Here is a link on how to enable safe mode so that you are not charged overages in the future. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/safety-mode-faqs/

ChetonJ_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

I will also add if you call in you can get a 16 GB plan for $90 for the data plus the line fees you are currently paying or 24 GB for $110 plus line fees

0 Likes