Does having to lose unlimited data/= change of plan start contract over?
Faintt

I've gotten different answers to this question.

My question with background is:

My upgrade availabilty date is 7/25, and if I upgrade and get a discounted phone  I will lose my unlimited date plan.  My phone is in horrible condition, just through using it so much over the last 16 or 17 months.  It is extremely laggy though I have very little on it.   When I hit the "phone" icon to make a call,  it takes literally up to 3 minutes to actually place the call.  Using this phone at all (I have the LG Revolution) has become such a source of frustration it is truly a testament to my self control that I haven't taken a hammer to it.  I want to know that if upon upgrade, if I will be forced to change my plan anyway or pay full price, and likely the contract will start over anyway, can I just do it now in order to replace my phone?    I believe the phone's cpu is simply worn out, and rendered it nearly useless, and should an emergency occur,  it is in no way dependable.  I need to replace the phone as 7/25  is an eternity away considering what I have to go through just to simply make a call or send a text.   At any given time,  the phone takes up to 3 minutes to even respond, and then sometimes when messaging comes up,  the letters being texted do not even appear.     If I am being forced to change my plan anyway or face full price of a smart phone,  can't I just change the plan now, restart my contract, and replace the phone with the new contract discount??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Does having to lose unlimited data/= change of plan start contract over?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can buy a new phone at any time if you pay full retail price.  Paying full retail price also will retain your unlimited data (at least for now).  Then when your contract is up, you'll go month-to-month.

If you don't want to or can't pay full retail price and prefer to get a subsidized phone, then you'll have to wait until your upgrade date, you'll sign a new two-year contract, and you'll lose your unlimited data and be switched to a 2 GB ($30) data plan.

0 Likes
Not applicable

You are not forced to do anything.  When your current contract expires, you can continue on your current plan and unlimited data on a month to month basis.

If you want to purchase a new phone, you can pay full retail price at anytime without signing a new contract and keep your unlimited data.  If you want a subsidized phone, you must wait until you are eligible for an update and sign a new 2-year contract.  If you do that, you will incur a $30 upgrade fee and lose your unlimited data plan.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Faintt,

I agree with you! Having a reliable phone is definitely a must!

If you are purchasing the phone at full retail price you can keep your unlimited data plan and purchase the phone at any time. You don't have to wait to be eligible. Plus, your contract will not renew when paying retail for the phone.

If you want to purchase at a discount price you will lose your unlimited data plan and will have to change to the Share Everything plan http://bit.ly/xdDajD.

What phone are you wanting to upgrade to? Please follow me and send me a direct message with your name and number so we can review your account and see what options you have available.

John_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wait!! What? or Since when are existing customers REQUIRED to switch to the Share Everything plan? What happened to the individual tiered data plans that existing customers have access to? Please advise!

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Yet another great catch, Ann154! There is the option for customer to keep their current calling plans (such as the Nationwide Talk plan) with the next 2 year discount upgrade, as long as it is understood that the data feature itself must change to a tiered data pricing structure. We recommend Share Everything, as we feel it is the best choice for most accounts, but recognize that Share Everything may not be for all.

DionM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

Not applicable

Existing customers DO NOT have to switch to Share Everything.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

You have been trained in all the options, correct?

0 Likes
Faintt

Considering I have done the exact same thing for years:   upgrade, get a new phone at a discounted price, contract starts over, life goes on ;  now I will no longer be able to do that although I did not choose for it to be that way, simply means being forced to do something I would not and did not choose to do, which is pay full price for a phone or lose the plan I've had for years.  My phone isn't working properly anymore, and must be replaced, and in order to do so, again, I am indeed forced to do something I don't want to do,  through a process that I've done for about 12 years,  will now cost me an estimated $500 + just to simply keep the plan I already have,  which at one time cost nothing but the $30 activation fee, if I chose a free phone.   I like my plan.  I don't want to lose my plan.  Being told pay $500+ or lose your plan sincerely appears to be an attempt to forcing me to change my plan. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

You are forced to do NOTHING.  You can keep your current plan and let your contract expire.  Keep your existing phone or buy a phone somewhere else.  Your contract is only good for 2 years.  When it expires both you and Verizon have fulfilled your obligations under the contract.  Things change.  Verizon no longer allows unlimited data on new contracts.  Verizon is free to change their product offerings for new customers or existing customers on new contracts.  As a matter of fact, they can discontinue unlimited data for all of us today if they so choose.  You, as a customer, can choose to leave if you want.  Again, YOU ARE FORCED TO DO NOTHING.

0 Likes