Does enabling wifi calling on an iPhone help if cellular coverage is poor? How do I activate it?
nalini

my house has poor cellular coverage Will enabling wifi access help improve the connectivity? I tried enabling it on my iPhone 7 but was told I have to contact Verizon Is this a special service one has to sign up for and pay? If so is it worth it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does enabling wifi calling on an iPhone help if cellular coverage is poor? How do I activate it?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wi-FI calling with help provided you have home Internet. The iPhone will bias your calls to the Wi-Fi if the signal is low, and the phone can hand over between Wi-Fi and LTE calling.

If your account does not have Advanced Calling enabled, which is the same thing that allows for you to make calls over LTE (VoLTE), Verizon will have to add the feature. You can call them. Or, if you have the MyVerizon app installed, you can add the "Advanced Calling" feature to your line (and any other line on your account) and that should do the trick. The setting is also available via the web.

View solution in original post

Re: Does enabling wifi calling on an iPhone help if cellular coverage is poor? How do I activate it?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wi-FI calling with help provided you have home Internet. The iPhone will bias your calls to the Wi-Fi if the signal is low, and the phone can hand over between Wi-Fi and LTE calling.

If your account does not have Advanced Calling enabled, which is the same thing that allows for you to make calls over LTE (VoLTE), Verizon will have to add the feature. You can call them. Or, if you have the MyVerizon app installed, you can add the "Advanced Calling" feature to your line (and any other line on your account) and that should do the trick. The setting is also available via the web.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having reliable coverage everywhere you need it is a must, nalini. Wi-Fi calling is perfect for improving coverage indoors. There is no charge for this service as it is part of advanced calling. Here’s how to enable Wi-Fi calling on your iPhone: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-204165/

JosephE_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Throttleman
Enthusiast - Level 2

why in the world would you want to pay Verizon again for a service that you are already paying for? If your phone were set up with the correct app to connect to your home or office Wi-Fi and make calls and you did not have any Verizon service at all you can still make a call. They already haven't provided you the service promised to you when you signed up. I have a little axe to grind with our common topic of discussion "Verizon" I have been trying to resolve issues with service to no avail. They are absolutely happy to take my money, paying higher costs for an overloaded network that costs me business and alienates people from your life because "you never answer your phone" and they just don't want to leave a message because the prompts are read slow as possible and give more information than necessary to leave a simple voicemail.

0 Likes