Does Verizon let you upgrade before the 2 year contract is up?
Mitchieboi
Enthusiast - Level 3

My phone wouldn't turn on about 2 months ago, and the only way I was able to fix was by pulling the power button.  Unfortunately this made it so my phone will randomly turn off now, and will only stay on if it is plugged in.  My upgrade date is July 4th, and I was wondering if anyone has had luck with Verizon pulling some strings to have your phone upgraded early.  Considering I have added four others to my account, I would think that they would be able to do something to help me. 

Additionally, you should be able to use your upgrade at any point within the two year period (personal opinion).

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Does Verizon let you upgrade before the 2 year contract is up?
Weth
Legend

Verizon has clamped down on early upgrades. You are lucky to get an upgrade 1 week early these days. Certainly not months early. The 2 year contract is really to pay off the phone that Verizon gave you at a reduced cost, and Verizon needs to make up the difference with higher monthly contract fees for that full 24 months for the deal not to be a loss on the phone.

Some people get an early Edge offer, but you are not going to be eligible, since you must have a working phone to hand in to get that deal.

Your options are a used phone from friends or a safe place like swappa. You can also buy a new phone at full price. The benefit of that is starting in July, if you are on More Everything, you will get a $15 or $25 month discount every month for being on month to month. Multiply that by 24 months and the discount pays for most of the full cost of the phone.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Additionally, you should be able to use your upgrade at any point within the two year period (personal opinion).

This is upgrade whenever you like. This means there is no need for contract. You can always upgrade whenever you like if you're in contract. You do this by paying full cost of the device.

Mitchieboi
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Weth.  I was reading of people getting early upgrades, so thought I'd ask.

0 Likes
weatherjen

I have the same issue as you Mitchieboi. I loved my Motorola Razr M the first year I had it, but the Jelly Bean upgrade last summer made it a sluggish, buggy, battery hog. I soldiered on for 10 more months with every intention of finishing my contract, which expires on 6/28/2015. Yesterday morning I got stuck on the reboot loop, soft reset and even hard wipes not working, it is completely unresponsive. It seems to me that the two year agreement should be dependent on having an actual working phone to use. My local Verizon folks were not much help, no early upgrade of course, no offers of a dumbphone to tide over til I can upgrade, just shrugs and telling me to find something online.

I totally understand that my phone was subsidized through my monthly bill and Verizon wants it to be paid in full. However, considering 22 of 24 months have been paid for and counting the initial cost, I have maybe, $50 before my broken phone is paid off I think. Verizon could have me locked in a new contract until 2017 if they had been willing to bend the no early upgrade rule. So I can now get a phone from swappa, and use it until the end of June, and then walk away from Verizon when my contract is up. I would think additional years of business from this (formally) loyal customer would be worth more than $50, but I guess not.

Rant over, sorry to hijack your thread Mitchieboi.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

OR keep the phone from swappa a bit longer and save $15 or $25 per month for not being in contract!

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Verizon DOES NOT want people on contracts. This is why they are making it harder to get them. ESPECIALLY before your contract end date. When you go on Edge, pay full cost or provide your own device (which is what you're doing even if you have a contract) Verizon makes more money. This is the same for all carriers. It has been discussed here many many times.

How come you aren't taking the proper steps to make sure that you're covered for the 24 months of your contract? Namely insurance. Had you had it you would have the opportunity for a replacement either with a deductible if the phone is broken or no charge if it is in good condition.

It is NOT VZW's responsibility to make sure that you have a phone. Period.

Rant over.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

I personally find it funny that when people get a new phone and are offered insurance and or the extended warranty they turn it down, yet when something happens prior to their upgrade date, and can't get a new phone it is somehow verizons fault and they just can't wait to leave. Interesting.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Exactly. It has NEVER been Verizon's position to make sure that your device is working.

Let's use this analogy--- You sign up for a 2 year service agreement with Xfinity. You buy a brand new Samsung television at that time. You're in month 15 and your TV stops working. Do you call Xfinity and demand that they replace it because you are still in contract with them?

rcschnoor
Legend

Mitchieboi wrote:

How could anyone possibly think this.

Example with your thinking: Purchase a phone with a 2 yr contract in January. Use your "upgrade at any point" in February with a new 2 yr contract. Sell original phone for close to full retail value on swappa.com. $300-$400 profit from sale. Use your "upgrade at any point" in March with a new 2 yr contract. Sell original phone for close to full retail value on swappa.com. $300-$400 profit from sale. Use your "upgrade at any point" in April with a new 2 yr contract. Sell original phone for close to full retail value. $300-$400 profit from sale.......... Four purchased phones in 4 months, $900-$1200 in profit for the customer by selling old phone AND you are only under a 2 yr contract. I certainly wish they would allow this, too.

What a way for customers to make money at the expense of Verizon!!!! I can't believe Verizon doesn't do business in this manner.