Does Verizon have voice and data coverage in San Juan, Puerto Rico?
megmo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I called today to find out if I could use my phone for data and voice calls in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and the rep told me that it was considered domestic so there would be no roaming charges.

However, when I look at Verizon's coverage map it says there 1X data coverage. In my experience, any time my phone has said 1X that means I can't get any reception for data.

So... who do I believe? The rep on the phone or the coverage map on the website? I really need to know if I can use my phone while I'm there.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does Verizon have voice and data coverage in San Juan, Puerto Rico?
megmo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am back from my trip and wanted to provide an update to this before marking it as solved.

When I first arrived in Puerto Rico, I had no service—voice or data. My phone said "No Service" at the top left and no matter where I was (I was staying in Condado Beach, a pretty populated area) I couldn't get service.

I called Verizon from my husband's phone (he has an iPhone 5 and had two bars but no data) and they told me I had to dial *228 and then pick option 2 to turn on international calling. I tried this, but when I dialed *228 I got a pop-up message saying "Number not allowed." I told the rep this, and she said she didn't know what else to tell me. I asked if international calling was turned on for my account, and she said since Puerto Rico was part of the US that wouldn't matter. When I asked her why I needed to dial *228 and select the international option, she said "That's just what you have to do."

When I kept protesting, saying that I called Verizon before I left and was told I would have no problem getting service, and the coverage map showed I should have at least voice coverage, she told me "Well, coverage in Puerto Rico is really shady. I don't know what to tell you." And then she hung up.

So, there I was, dejected since I had been counting on being able to use my phone there and didn't rent a mifi or anything.

However! I tweeted about how irritated I was with the situation, and one of my Twitter friends DMd me that her husband works for Verizon and used to work in the international coverage department. He then called one of his friends who was at work in that department at the time, and learned that the rep I spoke to never even opened a ticket for me when I called in (which he said they're supposed to do when someone calls in saying they can't use their service in a market where they should be able to).

He said Verizon doesn't have towers in Puerto Rico but they contract with a company that does, and I should indeed have service. We FaceTimed over wifi and he had me go to Settings > Cellular > Roaming and toggle off/on Voice Roaming, off/on Data Roaming and turn on International CDMA (which was turned off). I then restarted my phone, and VIOLA I had four bars! I had voice and data. The data was 3G, but it was freaking data!

I did the same for my husband's phone and once I did that he also had four bars and 3G data.

So, I'm not sure what the deal is with Verizon having people answer the phones and not giving a hoot if they can help someone in another part of the world actually use their service, but luckily my friend on Twitter saw me complain and she and her husband came to the rescue.

If you find yourself in another country—or at least Puerto Rico—without service, maybe try the steps I listed here instead of calling Verizon since they don't really seem to care to help you anyway.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

megmo,

Don't mean for there to be any confusion! While we do not have our own towers in Puerto Rico, we do work closely with a local carrier. I recommend going by the map listed on our site for speed availability, but whatever services you do get, you will only be billed at the domestic rate currently. Hope that helps!

SandyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
echristoperj

Yes, it does have voice and data coverage in San Juan, Puerto Rico. It's only 3G, but had about 3 - 4 bars the entire stay. I just left there three 3 weeks ago. I was using my iPhone 5s and had no problems. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
ngalbanese

Hello, so I would just like to confirm that even though my IPhone reads "extended" on the top left of the screen, that I will not be charged for roaming or data usage?

0 Likes
robshark19
Enthusiast - Level 3

Last December, I used my Verizon phone in San Juan, PR to talk to people back home as well as other family members in PR.  No extra fees or charges. 3G service with several bars.  No problems in my experience.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for reaching out to us, ngalbanese. If you are in Puerto Rico, service is considered the same as roaming in the US with us, meaning you will not be charged for roaming as this feature is included with your service. If you receive a text message stating that you will be globally roaming, or possibly going on a cruise, that is where charges likely will apply. You are typically notified via a text that charges will apply in those scenarios.

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
megmo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am back from my trip and wanted to provide an update to this before marking it as solved.

When I first arrived in Puerto Rico, I had no service—voice or data. My phone said "No Service" at the top left and no matter where I was (I was staying in Condado Beach, a pretty populated area) I couldn't get service.

I called Verizon from my husband's phone (he has an iPhone 5 and had two bars but no data) and they told me I had to dial *228 and then pick option 2 to turn on international calling. I tried this, but when I dialed *228 I got a pop-up message saying "Number not allowed." I told the rep this, and she said she didn't know what else to tell me. I asked if international calling was turned on for my account, and she said since Puerto Rico was part of the US that wouldn't matter. When I asked her why I needed to dial *228 and select the international option, she said "That's just what you have to do."

When I kept protesting, saying that I called Verizon before I left and was told I would have no problem getting service, and the coverage map showed I should have at least voice coverage, she told me "Well, coverage in Puerto Rico is really shady. I don't know what to tell you." And then she hung up.

So, there I was, dejected since I had been counting on being able to use my phone there and didn't rent a mifi or anything.

However! I tweeted about how irritated I was with the situation, and one of my Twitter friends DMd me that her husband works for Verizon and used to work in the international coverage department. He then called one of his friends who was at work in that department at the time, and learned that the rep I spoke to never even opened a ticket for me when I called in (which he said they're supposed to do when someone calls in saying they can't use their service in a market where they should be able to).

He said Verizon doesn't have towers in Puerto Rico but they contract with a company that does, and I should indeed have service. We FaceTimed over wifi and he had me go to Settings > Cellular > Roaming and toggle off/on Voice Roaming, off/on Data Roaming and turn on International CDMA (which was turned off). I then restarted my phone, and VIOLA I had four bars! I had voice and data. The data was 3G, but it was freaking data!

I did the same for my husband's phone and once I did that he also had four bars and 3G data.

So, I'm not sure what the deal is with Verizon having people answer the phones and not giving a hoot if they can help someone in another part of the world actually use their service, but luckily my friend on Twitter saw me complain and she and her husband came to the rescue.

If you find yourself in another country—or at least Puerto Rico—without service, maybe try the steps I listed here instead of calling Verizon since they don't really seem to care to help you anyway.

RAffuso
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am currently in PR in Bahia Beach area and have NO SERVICE (phone/text) other than wi-fi within the hotel. Any help to get service? Did I need to do something prior to leaving NY? Am told Verizon service is limited here. Thanks for any qucik help!

0 Likes
RAffuso
Enthusiast - Level 1

Megmo!! This ABSOLUTELY WORKED! Thanks to you and your friends for the help! 100x's better than the Verizon support offered!

0 Likes