Does Verizon Have GSM or CMDA?
GONERAFTING

Has Verizon gone to GMS or still using the antiquated CMDA which is not the world standard. So many items only work with GMS. I guess, I need to change carriers which is a sad commentary about a reluctance of a huge carrier not willing to go to world standards.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does Verizon Have GSM or CMDA?
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

So, Verizon does use CDMA. You can get better coverage with towers further apart and better handoff from one tower to another.

Verizon LTE smartphones are SIM unlocked. This means that outside the USA, your phone will accept an international SIM for use on a GSM network. You will not be using your Verizon number and be sure to keep track of your Verizon SIM card as your phone won't work in the USA until you get a replacement if lost.

If you don't travel outside of the USA then there is no need to worry and you can stay on Verizon. If you don't stay on Verizon it is because you don't want to and not because the technology is CDMA in the USA.

View solution in original post

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

So, Verizon does use CDMA. You can get better coverage with towers further apart and better handoff from one tower to another.

Verizon LTE smartphones are SIM unlocked. This means that outside the USA, your phone will accept an international SIM for use on a GSM network. You will not be using your Verizon number and be sure to keep track of your Verizon SIM card as your phone won't work in the USA until you get a replacement if lost.

If you don't travel outside of the USA then there is no need to worry and you can stay on Verizon. If you don't stay on Verizon it is because you don't want to and not because the technology is CDMA in the USA.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I should mention that in 2014 my husband and I visited Slovakia (his home county). I had an iPhone 5 on Verizon and he had an iPhone 5S on AT&T. I put a Slovakia SIM card in my VZW phone and had instant connectivity. He put a Slovakia SIM card in his phone and it wouldn't work. It was locked and AT&T wouldn't unlock it, Why? Because he was on a payment plan that wasn't completed. So, yeah. AT&T and their GSM network is better.

0 Likes