Does Mobile Hotspot in phones work at all?
Selektor_Style
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been having trouble with using Mobile Hotspot with my verizon devices for a while now.

While it's not a huge dealbreaker, but when i need to use my phone as a hotspot, the connection keeps dropping and constantly timeouts to the point of being unusable.

I've had it happen with my Nexus 6P, LG G2, and most recently, Galaxy S6, so i believe it's not a device issue, but Verizon.

Just now i set up a Hotspot on my phone, then tried to connect to it on my Surface Pro. The network found, passcode entered, automatically connect checked, but it kept dropping the connection. And my phone randomly flashes the "Connected Device" name, but mostly states "no devices connected"

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I've tried setting up the hotspot in various ways, but still no connection. Is there a conspiracy by verizon to limit hotspots on mobile devices in order to sell more of the Mi-Fi devices?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does Mobile Hotspot in phones work at all?
Selektor_Style
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found the culprit!!! Oh, please forgive me, Verizon, for assuming there was a conspiracy against me!

Turns out my office building somehow blocks personal mobile devices from creating HotSpots. I have full bars 4G, but could never properly have a mobile tethering established.

I had no issues connecting to hotspot on my phone at work, at the park, and at the bar.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have never seen that issue. The only time I might have seen was if the 4G LTE network was very weak. I don't remember having issues getting my computer and other devices to connect to the mobile hotspot on my phone. I have used the hotspot on at least five different smartphones but one of those models you mentioned.

Have you tried replacing the SIM card to see if that helps?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Selektor_Style
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your input!

I've always had full bars when trying to use the hotspot feature on my phones. As for the SIM card, Nexus 6P and Galaxy S6 use the nano sim card, and my LG G2 use the older, bigger sim card, so technically I've tried two different sim cards. Oh well, someday, perhaps, i'll get to the bottom on this.

0 Likes
Selektor_Style
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found the culprit!!! Oh, please forgive me, Verizon, for assuming there was a conspiracy against me!

Turns out my office building somehow blocks personal mobile devices from creating HotSpots. I have full bars 4G, but could never properly have a mobile tethering established.

I had no issues connecting to hotspot on my phone at work, at the park, and at the bar.

Thanks!

0 Likes