Does 4G LTE use more data than 3G?
MC_Poodle

The consensus seems to be "No it doesn't, but it is faster and can download data quicker in a shorter amount of time thus causing higher usage".. I switched from a Moto G to a Galaxy Active S4. With my Moto G I went through >1gb a month however within three days of having the Galaxy S4 I've already used .14 gb and I'm POSITIVE I did not increase the amount of pages I loaded. Does 4G LTE inherently use more data than 3G or could it be something in the Galaxy S4's settings?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Does 4G LTE use more data than 3G?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The data used could have been at a higher resolution photos or videos then what you were receiving before.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Does 4G LTE use more data than 3G?
Weth
Legend

You absolutely will use more data when you switch from 3G to LTE for number of reasons. I have a post on this board that elicits what the differences are and why the data used goes up. There's even a graph that shows how much data increases after going to LTE.

I'll try to dig up that post when I get a chance. And for those that say the general consensus is it doesn't increase they just don't understand exactly what is happening. It's not that LTE is creating data it's that you're just downloading more of it faster  even if you think you are doing the same things. Now if you're downloading a file it doesn't change that but for browsing or streaming it definitely increases.  In fact when I want my daughter to cut back on data use I switch her to 3G only and she uses one third as much from that point forward