Dissapointed with Deceptive Data Promotions
cook85743

Last time I updated my phone, Verizon gave me an additional 2GB of data for free.  There was no expiration date on the additional data, and I was told it would be "forever".  Last week I got a promotional text message from Verizon, that I was eligible for an extra 6GB per month of data for $10.  When I went in to update my plan, I was told that if I upgraded to the additional 6GB I would lose the 2 GB promotion.  So in effect, the promised "2GB forever" doesn't really mean forever, and the promised 6GB for $10 effectively was really 4GB per month.  I protested at the time and the sales person told me it was policy and they could do nothing about it.  I have been a reasonably happy Verizon customer for more than a decade, but now I feel like I can't trust what they tell me.  I consider both the 2GB forever and the 6GB for $10 promotions to be deceptive.  I don't deal for long with companies I don't trust.  This will push me one step further down the short path to a different service provider.  How many other people have encountered these issues?  Maybe if enough customers protest, Verizon will rethink this policy.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Dissapointed with Deceptive Data Promotions
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

This is a NEW plan. You are not forced to take it. Should you wish to keep your bonus data you can stay on the plan that you have and keep it. You should go back and read the requirements of keeping said bonus data. What would be deceptive is if Verizon said that you could switch the NEW plan and keep your bonus data and then took it away when you switched. However, you were told up front.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

EExplain how it's deceptive.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You changed your plan. When you change plans you lose any promotional features of the previous plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

This is a NEW plan. You are not forced to take it. Should you wish to keep your bonus data you can stay on the plan that you have and keep it. You should go back and read the requirements of keeping said bonus data. What would be deceptive is if Verizon said that you could switch the NEW plan and keep your bonus data and then took it away when you switched. However, you were told up front.

0 Likes
cook85743

I was told when I updated my phone the 2GB per month was "forever".  I asked several times to make sure I understood.  They didn't say anything about till you change plans.  If you tell me it's forever when it's really just till you change your plan, that's deceptive.  If you look up "forever" in the dictionary, it doesn't say anything about "till you change to a new plan".  I'm guessing from your response you think this is okay, I don't, and I'm the guy that will decide if and when I take my nearly $500/month five line family plan with XXL data, and go someplace else.

0 Likes
cook85743

But they did tell me I could keep it.  When the said forever, that means I can keep it forever.  If they had said till you change plans, I would agree with you, but they didn't.  My guess is it's in the fine print someplace.  I prefer not to do business with companies where I need to carefully read the fine print to determine if the salesman is being ingenuous.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sure you could keep it "forever" as long as you don't change your plan. That has been the policy on promotional features and plans for over 10+ years.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

pherson
Champion - Level 1

I Guess its like how in wedding vows you say forever but anything can change that like choosing a different life plan, right?

cook85743

That appears to be an accurate analogy. Are you suggesting I should divorce Verizon?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Switch if you must. You'll be on the same boat if you ever switch plans.