Re: Disgusted by Verizon's new share everything plans
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Problem is that most don't need unlimited talk and some don't even text.  Voice usage has been steadily declining which is one reason Verizon is pushing these plans but most aren't going to see exchanged unlimited data for unlimited talk/text as a benefit.  Most will see there bill stay the same or go up for features they're not even using.  My company is an exception as we're going to save about ~$130/month by switching to Share Everything.  It's a small business with the 7 devices split over two legacy 2200min smartchoice plans (cheaper than converting to a small business plan).  6 of the 7 devices are blackberries with combined usage well under 1GB each month so unlimited data is overkill. 

0 Likes
EmagehtmaI
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's fine for you, or anyone that doesn't use a lot of data. Me and my wife, on the other hand, currently have 2 smartphones with unlimited data, and we use them. A lot. Between the two of us, we can burn through nearly 10 GB of data a month. So this "Share Everything" plan is specifically structured so that it's beneficial to people who talk/text a lot and use less data (a segment of the population that has been trending further and further down within the last couple of years) and NOT be beneficial to people who use a lot of data, because that's where the market is heading. Data = money. More data = more money. Simple.

What aggravates me is that Verizon has ended unlimited plans on people who were told just a year ago that they could keep their unlimited data. If they had introduced this plan as it is and left out the part about killing unlimited plans, that would be fine. It would be a great option to people who talk a lot and want a smart phone but don't want to pay out the nose for something that they won't use a lot of. However, Verizon decided to say "Oh, unlimited user? So sorry! No more for you!" Now we can only keep our unlimited data if we don't upgrade, ever. So if we want to upgrade to a nice, shiny 4G phone and keep unlimited, we have to either take our chances with buying phones on ebay/craigslist, or pay $500+ for a brand new one. And how long until Verizon ends even THAT concession? How long until Verizon says "Oh, so you kept your unlimited data and paid $500 for a new 4G LTE phone? That's nice. We're going to throttle you. Hope you enjoy Edge speeds on your shiny new brick!" OR adds a stipulation that by switching phones/activating a new phone in ANY capacity will force you onto a tiered (capped) plan or a the shared plan? A year? Six months? Don't put it past them. They're actively trying to force long-time users off unlimited plans that they PAY FOR. Can you say "Unfair business practices"?

PJNC284
Master - Level 2

They didn't say they would let you keep unlimited forever.  You're also not paying for unlimited data forever, you're paying for it for the duration of your contract  Verizon has no accountability for anything further than that.

0 Likes
funkotron
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey Verizon, How about a plan that doesn't drastically raise my rates and give me less data at the same time? Everybody should post the plan comparison pictures from Verizon's own website to show how much the new rates suck.

http://i.imgur.com/dAcHR.png

fearlessj

I can see where the the logic rests in that "I was paying $30 for unlimited data, why should I have to pay more to be limited on my data?"  So in that respect, I agree with everyone in that it kinda sucks.  However, if we use some critical thinking skills and assess the real situation, this is something that has been coming for a very long time.  Wireless resources are more expensive and because of this, more of a limited resource.  5 years ago when maybe 1 out of 20 customers have a smartphone device, it made sence to offer an unlimited plan since the resources were there.  If we fast forward to today, there are a lot more smartphones (and other devices like hotspots and usb modems and tablets) connected to the wireless network and to maintain the network structure and quality standard that Verizon holds, it requires more equipment, resources, and of course money.  Let's remember that Verizon was the LAST company to axe these unlimited plans. (BTW, Sprint claims unlimited but its only on their home network and limits you when roaming on other networks, so the unlimited is very much a lie).  Verizon reevaluated it data plans and now charges people based on their use.  So yes, Verizon is asking for more money from people who use the network more.  Its kinda like gas in your car...if you drive more, you need to buy more gas.  What I believe Verizon is trying to do is offer more of a value with these new plans.  Some people save a lot of money, some pay more, but in either case, Verizon is offering more flexible service and adding value to its plans.  Remember, Verizon isnt forcing you off of your unlimited data plan...it is still giving you options to keep it.  If you are a user who would end up paying more for a higher data plan than the subsidy on a new phone, you can make that choice.  Either way, Verizon is making more money on your data plan or saving on the subsidy for your new phone every 2 years... its business and if you were running Verizon Wireless, you would have made the same business decision.  Its no different than your insurance rates going up or some other service raising their prices...Verizon is just offering what consumers have been asking for.  If you thought that Verizon was going to let you keep unlimited and share it for relatively the same price, you are out of your mind.  That would be a horrible business decision.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Must be blind, where is the comparison tool?

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

commonsense101 wrote:

Verizon has a strong lead in 4g LTE, they are going to milk it now

No where you can go will offer anything close to speeds

This depends on where you are.  I can sit in the same place and get 10Mbps down on VZW and 24Mbps down on AT&T.

0 Likes
BDA
Contributor - Level 1

Can't figure out how you posted the screenshot or I would post one too.

0 Likes
fearlessj

I would go talk to a rep at a store like i did...they have some kind of

tool that gives you the breakdown

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

21stNow wrote:

commonsense101 wrote:

Verizon has a strong lead in 4g LTE, they are going to milk it now

No where you can go will offer anything close to speeds

This depends on where you are.  I can sit in the same place and get 10Mbps down on VZW and 24Mbps down on AT&T.

I'm sure AT&T's speed will drop once their network is as saturated as Verizon's.  Be interesting to see how many lte device AT&T has v Verizon

0 Likes