Disagree with Activation Fee - What's your thoughts?
WhyMore_
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do not agree with the activation fee whether from Verizon or any other company.  I feel as consumers we pay enough for the services and if we have been a valued, good and upstanding customer, then no activation fee should be charged.  I am not opening a new account, adding a new line, changing my phone number; I am just changing from one phone to another.  I can change computers without being charged an activation fee for my internet, or TVs without being issued a new fee from my cable/satellite company, so why should I or anyone else be charged and extra fee just for changing a phone?  If I used an old phone hanging around the house or got one from a friend, I would not be paying the activation fee so why if I get a new phone do I need to pay anything extra?  Is there so much more involved to require such a fee?  I could be wrong, but I really just don't think so.  May be looking into other companies to see their policies or change to pay-as-you-go type of plan- no activation fee there (not sure why the difference).  Just my opinion.  What's yours?

Verizon will not change their policies until consumers warrant the change.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Disagree with Activation Fee - What's your thoughts?
rcschnoor
Legend

1)You are ONLY charged an "activation" fee if you are opening a new account or adding a new line. You are NOT charged an "activation" fee for anything else.

2)Changing phones does not have an "activation" fee associated with it. You can change phones as often as you like WITHOUT being charged an "activation" fee.

3)Possibly you are thinking of an "upgrade" fee. This is ONLY charged if you are already a customer and purchase a discounted phone in exchange for signing a new 2 yr contract. This is basically a "contract origination fee". You are NOT charged an "upgrade" fee if you make a phone purchase via Edge or pay full retail for the phone. ONLY if you sign a 2 yr service contract.

4)A simple way to avoid an "upgrade" fee is to purchase your phone via Edge or pay full retail for your phone. In either instance, it may very well be a cheaper way to make the purchase of your phone.Smiley Happy

Snn5
Legend

WhyMore$ wrote:

I can change computers without being charged an activation fee for my internet, or TVs without being issued a new fee from my cable/satellite company, so why should I or anyone else be charged and extra fee just for changing a phone?

The cable/satellite company didn't buy the TV to resell to you.  Verizon has to buy the phones it sells to consumers.  And almost any company that resells merchandise (Office Depot, Best Buy, etc...) loses money on a sell and makes that up with attachments or in this case, upgrade fees.  I'm sure Verizon makes a small profit margin, but that margin is largely the upgrade fee.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

The upgrade fee is standard on all carriers. Besides, it has been around since April of 2012. It isn't new. Edge is a better option anyway.