Difference between "Unlimited Data Usage" and "Email and Web for Smartphone" ???
Lalkin

So I'm getting a droid which will be my first smartphone.

I'm confused about the differences between the two choices for the data feature. What sort of stuff can you not do with the "Email and Web for Smartphone" feature? I'm going to want to use all the google apps (google docs, google maps, gmail, gtalk) as well as browse the web. At some point I'm sure I'll be using some apps from the app store.

With that I said above can I go with the $30 choice?

What are some examples of things one can't do with the "Email and Web for Smartphone" feature?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Difference between "Unlimited Data Usage" and "Email and Web for Smartphone"
lalalamesss
Contributor - Level 1

"Email & Web for Smartphone" is the same as "Unlimited Data Usage". You are charged for the apps and things you download.

0 Likes
Re: Difference between "Unlimited Data Usage" and "Email and Web for Smartphone"
Lalkin

How can they be the same? One is $15 more than the other!

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

The difference in the plans is the type of email you need. The $29.99 Email & Web is for personal email access only. The $44.99 plan is for access for corporate email, example; ActiveSync Exchange, Lotus severs, Domino servers..etc etc.

Both are unlimited data usage for all the web browsing, email and app usage you can possibly stand.

0 Likes
mlwhite

so, would I be charged for the pandora app if I have the 29.99 option?

0 Likes
mbearden

This was very helpful information the poster added above: "The $29.99 Email & Web is for personal email access only. The $44.99 plan is for access for corporate email, example; ActiveSync Exchange, Lotus severs, Domino servers..etc etc."  (Note: If the poster of that message has any solid claim to know what he/she is talking about, could he/she identify that?  Is the poster a Verizon employee?  How else to know this "secret" information, and is the information reliable?)

It's a shame I couldn't find this kind of info on the Verizon site.  I went through the checkout cart (without finalizing) for adding a Motorola Droid to my account, and when I clicked on the explanatory link for "Unlimited Data Usage", I get a page that doesn't say anything like what you said above.   It merely says "Synchronize your mobile PDA or Smartphone to your PC...providing over-the-air synchronization of e-mail, contacts, calendar, and tasks."   Then it lists CDMA roaming charges.

The "Email & Web..." link was a little more helpful.  It says "Access up to ten POP3 and IMAP email accounts, including...[list that DOES NOT INCLUDE GOOGLE MAIL].   So I wonder if there is any sort of native integration on this Google OS phone with Google Mail?  Or do I have to acess Google Mail from the Google phone as if I'm a generic POP3 client?

This is gonna take a long time, and probably several trips by the Verizon store to ask questions before I feel any confidence I know what I'd be getting into.  (Too bad for Verizon; if it's what I want, I'm eager to purchase.)

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

mbearden wrote:

This was very helpful information the poster added above: "The $29.99 Email & Web is for personal email access only. The $44.99 plan is for access for corporate email, example; ActiveSync Exchange, Lotus severs, Domino servers..etc etc."  (Note: If the poster of that message has any solid claim to know what he/she is talking about, could he/she identify that?  Is the poster a Verizon employee?  How else to know this "secret" information, and is the information reliable?) The person that wrote that message is ME. No, I'm not a VZW employee. I have been a customer before VZW ever existed in the form it is now. This is not "secret" information, hardly so. While it is not explicitly stated on VZW's website this information can be gained from various sources in this forum and also from any knowledgeable CS or Sales Rep. It is absolutely correct and I do, as a matter of fact, know what the heck I'm talking about.

It's a shame I couldn't find this kind of info on the Verizon site.  I went through the checkout cart (without finalizing) for adding a Motorola Droid to my account, and when I clicked on the explanatory link for "Unlimited Data Usage", I get a page that doesn't say anything like what you said above.   It merely says "Synchronize your mobile PDA or Smartphone to your PC...providing over-the-air synchronization of e-mail, contacts, calendar, and tasks."   Then it lists CDMA roaming charges.

The "Email & Web..." link was a little more helpful.  It says "Access up to ten POP3 and IMAP email accounts, including...[list that DOES NOT INCLUDE GOOGLE MAIL].   So I wonder if there is any sort of native integration on this Google OS phone with Google Mail?  Or do I have to access Google Mail from the Google phone as if I'm a generic POP3 client?

This is gonna take a long time, and probably several trips by the Verizon store to ask questions before I feel any confidence I know what I'd be getting into.  (Too bad for Verizon; if it's what I want, I'm eager to purchase.)

Any questions you have about your service, plans, features, add-ons or expectations please feel free to make a post and ask. That's what we're here for. There are some very knowledgeable and friendly people in this forum that are more than willing to help you and guide you in your selection.

It is entirely up to you to accept this knowledge. You have every right to question this knowledge and any advice given. However, consider this: the people who give their time to this forum are recognized by their ranks. They do not get high ranks, high amounts of kudos or high amounts of accepted solutions by posting bad, false or misleading information. The biggest examples of such people are of course, myself and the very kind SuzyQ.

As previously stated I have been a customer of this company for many, many years. I have several lines on several accounts that I manage and I also lend my time in helping others manage their accounts. I have worked in the wireless industry on several occasions in various occupations, which lends me to be fairly savvy in this place. Also,  I do have ties to several VZW employee's and that's how I can verify a lot of information I give.

0 Likes
oceanla

Thanks for the info, but you didn't answer...

1. Whether Gmail and Google Navigator is included in the "Unlimited Data Usage" vs. "Email and Web for Smartphone"?

2.  Does "Unlimited Data Usage" include tethering the laptop to a PDA/smartphone? 

{Keep it Legal}

4. But should I just buy "Unlimited Data Usage" so I can tether without worrying about heavy usage - such as streaming videos, downloads, etc?

0 Likes
oceanla

Thanks!

0 Likes
Jagger-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

Typically the "tethering" aspect is what people want when they see "unlimited," but as the other repliers have said it is for acceessing the web via your device not tethering your laptop to get online from the device.

0 Likes