Dear Verizon Wireless -
JM0812

Dear Verizon Wireless -

Thank you for attempting to improve your customer service and increase sales by making assumptions about my ethnicity and ability to understand English based on my last name!

It's great to know that despite being a customer of yours for over 12 years, and never once requesting anything in a language other than English, someone at your organization took .5 seconds and determined that because my last name is Martinez this correspondence should obviously be sent to me in Spanish. Well done, excellent job stereotyping! Unfortunately, you could not be more wrong.

So to clear up any misconceptions you may have please allow me to explain that while my last name is Martinez, I:

1.  Am Not Hispanic/ Spanish/Latina etc.

2. I do not speak or read Spanish, nor does anyone in my household

3. It frankly makes me angry when assumptions are made based on the way a person looks / where they live / or their name - particularly by a huge corporate entity that has almost zero knowledge of me outside of my phone habits.

Let me further explain that while I applaud the fact that you have information available to multiple languages to be representative of the many cultures in the United States, the overwhelming majority of non English speaking customers will request their correspondence in their preferred language and thus you don't have to assume. The view English button by the way does not negate the assumption and stereotyping that went into the thought, or lack there of, in sending this email out.

Since I have no idea what your offer says, I'm going to have to pass at this time. To bad since my son does need a new smart phone.

Please take a minute to rethink your marketing strategies as I'm sure I'm not the only person you made angry with this today.

Labels (1)
0 Likes