Data usage
jkarrigan

I am a new user of a smart phone. I know that when I am connected to my home wifi I am not using any of my 2GB data plan. But I am needed help understanding how many KB, MB of GB's I use when I visit web pages or use my apps such as facebook or weather or send or receive an email. Example, I search on Google for ereaders, all the results come up and I click and look at 3 results, in each of those results I click 5 things. How much data have I used? I don't quite understand if it is each page you visit or everytime you click something. I realize this seems dumb and yes I have the data usage app installed but it would be good to know what I am doing. Another example is if I go to facebook and read all the newsfeeds I have about my friends and click on some of their pictures and or comments and then go to their facebook page, how much data have I used. I did use the data calculator estimate but I am confused because I do not know exactly what "visit web sites" means? Does it mean everything on that web page? or does it go by how many times I click something within a web page?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data usage
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

On the data calculator "Visit a website" means downloading a web page, so if you click to another page on the site, you would have visited two sites.  Of course, the data use can vary widely.  If you are reading text articles on the mobile version of a newspaper, that will use much less data than going to a gallery of high quality photos and looking at each one.

Basically, text uses the least, streaming video uses the most.  The higher the quality, the more data will be used.  Keep an eye on your data widget over the next couple months, that will be the best way to learn how much data your particular activities uses.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

On the data calculator "Visit a website" means downloading a web page, so if you click to another page on the site, you would have visited two sites.  Of course, the data use can vary widely.  If you are reading text articles on the mobile version of a newspaper, that will use much less data than going to a gallery of high quality photos and looking at each one.

Basically, text uses the least, streaming video uses the most.  The higher the quality, the more data will be used.  Keep an eye on your data widget over the next couple months, that will be the best way to learn how much data your particular activities uses.

0 Likes
BambooHead
Contributor - Level 1
Just to give you some more info, you can also go to verizonwireless.com and sign into your accnt to set up data alerts. Right on your home page underneath 'data usage' there is a + sign, click on it and it will let you set up alerts so your phone will notify you when you're at 50%, 75%, etc. Really helpful when you have a tiered data pkg!
0 Likes