Re: Data usage through the roof since upgrading to iPhone 6
nloshaw
Enthusiast - Level 2

So you have no suggestions?  I am just stuck hanging and paying for a phone I am scared to death to use because of the amount of debt it is already put me in?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want you scared to use your device. We want you to be aware of it's uses and the best way to operate your phone. I would suggest to turn off any running applications when not being used.

VanetrisC_VZW

Follow us on twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
wingedmonkeys
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, no answer, and frankly the answer I see that Verizon Wireless has offered you is insufficient. I don't use Youtube or other data-intensive apps that use video or audio files via VW's data network. I'm checking email and checking one or two news apps, including a weather app. Looking back at my data usage prior to getting the iPhone 6, my data usage was about 269 MG per month, using the network probably 4 hours daily. Without making any changes whatsoever in my habits, within 30 minutes of using my iPhone on VW's 4G network, I have used 40 MB of data! That's just crazy.

0 Likes
wingedmonkeys
Enthusiast - Level 2

I receive primarily business email which typically doesn't include photos. There may be attachments, but not large files - PDFs and Word or excel files. This kind of a spike in data usage doesn't make sense to me.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wingedmonkeys,

We understand how data spikes can be alarming. Data on 4G does move much faster so you are able to use more data in a time frame. There are many different applications that can run in the background and use your data. PDF's can use your data while sending the emails.

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
wingedmonkeys
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why then does Verizon tout the 4G network if it eats up data at such an alarming pace? And how could opening a 48k PDF file consumer so much more data on 4G than on 3G? Sorry, Robin, your answer doesn't cut it

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

doolittle557,

We would be sad to see you leave the Verizon Wireless family. You stated that you got new phones lately. What kind of devices did you end up getting? How do you normally use your data on your cell phones? Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
doolittle557
Enthusiast - Level 1

We play games and use Pandora since we have home wifi. Also on Facebook and instagram.

0 Likes
nloshaw
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had a 4G device prior to my iphone 6 and my data still only increased since the switch to that phone.  I switched back to my 5S on Thursday night and I have not even used 1gb since (three days now) and I apparently used almost 3gb in one night on last Thursday when I was still using the 6.  I talked to Verizon again today and they told me to do a master reset and add one app at a time that I use.  So pretty much at my expense I have to trial and error it because I am still expected to pay my overage from December and what will be over in January now since I am already half way through my plan (being 7 days in).  Oh it cannot be disputable though because it shows I used that data.  I am not happy with Verizon right now at all.  Paying for a phone through their edge program I do not even want to use.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

doolittle557

Thanks for sharing those details! Let's take a look into what is using the data on your phones. On your iPhones, go to Settings>Cellular and see what apps are using data and how much. You can find the time period at the very bottom of that page. On the S5 nad Ultra, you can go to Settings>Data Usage.

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes