Data usage through the roof since upgrading to iPhone 6
wingedmonkeys
Enthusiast - Level 2

Like numerous people, I'm frustrated by the fact that my data usage has unaccountably gone through the roof. I traded in an ancient iPhone 4 with unlimited data for an iPhone 6 in November 2014. I figured I'd be fine with 1G of data since there has never been a point when I've exceeded 300 MB during a one-month billing cycle. Since February 2011 I used my iPhone daily for work, primarily for email, but also visiting a few web pages, and reading news via a few apps.  I haven't changed my habits at all since acquiring the iPhone 6. In a single day when I first got my phone I used 90MB of data - almost a 1/3 of what I would use in a heavy month with my old phone!

I've made all the adjustments and changes on my device that I possibly can to keep my usage under 1GB, but it's become really inhibiting. Checking email and looking at 5 web pages eats up 30 MB of data within 15 minutes - that can't be right. Wifi isn't always available and I need to be able to check email and perform other functions using data for work and business purposes. I'm ready to switch to another carrier. What is going on??? And based on all the complaints, why won't Verizon do something to rein this in?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Data usage through the roof since upgrading to iPhone 6
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

wingedmonkeys We don't want you to leave. Unexplained data suage can be frustrating and we can help. It is normal to notice a spike in usage when switching from a 3g phone (iPhone 4) to a 4g device (iPhone 6).  When you're checking emails, are there attatchments or photos included? Visiting web pages with several components and media uses more data also.

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
nloshaw
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did you find a resolution to this?  I am having the same problem with my iphone 6.  From November prior I averaged 10-12gb a month.  I switched to the 6 at the end of November and my December bill used 27gb.  I am 4 days into my new cycle and it is saying I already used 8gb of my 15gb plan.  Please let me know.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Help is just a posting away nloshaw! May I ask what model device did you have before the iPhone 6? Also, what data services do you commonly use? Since the iPhone 6 is a much faster devices than its predecessors, the data usage and processing power typically uses more data, even for the same functions used on another device. Videos like YouTube and Netflix have the highest quality images available due to the 4G connectivity when compared to non-4G devices. If you can share the details then we can assist.

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
nloshaw
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had a 5S.  I spoke with CS yesterday and we did some troubleshooting to make sure I have certain apps turned off. I do not stream videos or music. I am religious clearing out my apps as well.  I have maintained my same phone use for years as indicated by my data usage through November (it is all the same). 

I spent nearly 2 hours on the phone with CS this morning after the iphone 6 used nearly 3gb within a few hours.  I then decided to swap that phone with my old 5S that was on my other line that is rarely used.  The CS rep from this morning ran some reverse IP addresses and said it looked like I was bouncing off apple servers??  There is supposedly a ticket out there that tech support is going through the last 4 days of my cycle since it just started, last month with the overage to November my normal month.  I have used nearly 8gb in 4 days.  That is alot, dont you think?

0 Likes
nloshaw
Enthusiast - Level 2

What is upsetting is that this is an evident issue and it clearly is the phone but yet I am still expected to pay the $400 overage bill and I will most likely be over this month too now.  I was told that "Verizon just provides the service".  Really?  I am paying you for the phone so I would think Verizon should support it's products too.  Am I wrong?  I bought the phone from Verizon and it is obviously faulty so now I pay the consequences. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

nloshaw, we want to ease your frustrations and prevent future negative billing experiences. Have you had a chance to view your actual data usage sessions for your line online at My Verizon? http://bit.ly/xB4iTc

We recommend that you disable data for your applications in Settings>Cellular>Scroll down to applications>Disable Data for apps. This will only allow your device to access data for those applications when it's connected to Wi-Fi.

Additionally, it's also helpful to add the Family Base feature which allows you to set data allowances for your lines http://vz.to/1dJRZEC

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
nloshaw
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes this was all done and confirmed yesterday. 

0 Likes
nloshaw
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have also reviewed my data usage nonstop.  Since switching to my 5S late last night, I have used it like I normally do and it is funny I do not have data accumulating like I did on the 6.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

nloshaw,

Thank you for those details. I don't undersyand the discrepancy. The device will use data but shouldn't be running a vast amount.

Thank you for keeping us posted.

VanetrisC_VZW

Follow us on twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes