Data only on a Smartphone
toga1530
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been trying to connect a Droid 3 to my Jetpack for Data only services. The "Sales" weenies said it could not be done.  I worked with CSV and a tech. for over an hour, but since they could not see what was happening they were unable to help. Everyone at Verizon has confirmed you can connect a Smartphone to a hotspot except the sales guys at the brick and mortar store.

The other day I pulled out an old Devour, bypassed the Moto Blur login screen and had service right off the bat!  So I was right. Still can't get the Droid to connect.  It constantly connects and disconnects. So it sees the signal. I just don't know why it won't stay connected.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data only on a Smartphone
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
That's strange, toga1530. Your Droid 3 should be able to connect to your Jetpack with the same success as your Devour. Are you able to connect your Droid 3 to any other WiFi services? Do you see any error messages when it is disconnecting? Please also make sure Mobile Hotspot on the Droid 3 is turned off http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-44870 if you're trying to connect it through a Jetpack.

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Is there a MAC filter set on the hotspot?

0 Likes
toga1530
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm going to spend some more time with it this weekend. My dad gave it to me and he was able to use it for Data only, so I'm going to walk thru the process with him to see if I'm missing something or messed something up...ha...

0 Likes
toga1530
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know what the MAC is, but am not sure what the filter is. But could use some education.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

On most hotspots, there is a setting that allows you to restrict access based on MAC address. This can be a whitelist, so only the MAC addresses listed will allow a connection, or a blacklist, so that a MAC address that matches will be bllocked access.

Someone would have set this up to prevent unauthorized connections.

It is worth checking out in the menu and settings of the hotspot.