Data charges
mossy
Enthusiast - Level 3
My VZW plan has VPak/VCast, unlimited web access, 250 text messages (VZW custmers only) $ 5 email, and is a Family Share Plan.  I see on My Usage under Data this code:  UNL MB XPORT - V CAST.   Could someone please tell me what that cryptic message means?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data charges
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

So all those things that you're doing -- downloading apps, browsing thru video content is running MBs, but since you have a data plan it's going to be unlimited and you'll only be charged the $15.00 for the Vpak.

But I know what you mean, VZW does have a lot of fine print and little tidbits of info that is VERY important but hard to come by. But if you've noticed while browsing the apps if you click on "info" instead of purchase it will tell you "mb or airtime charges may apply depending on your plan". So it's there, you just have to keep digging to find it, but I think it's the first thing that should pop up whenever you open the GIN/Media Center catalog. How sneaky of them....

View solution in original post

0 Likes
NekoSaru
Contributor - Level 3

It means you are under the unlimited data package for your plan. I don't know the exact deciphering.

When you have the unlimited text plan it has a similar code as well. The UNL bar will never move but ones where it is not UNL will move, like your texting.

0 Likes
mossy
Enthusiast - Level 3

But the bar is moving, that's what made me notice the data accumulation.  Apparently I can't post a screen shot but it is advancing.  I have not texted anyone except VZW customers nor received texts from same. 

OH wait a minute.......are you saying I will be charged MB for messaging?  Even with a text plan and unlimited web access?

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

UNL MB XPORT - VCAST  is "unlimited megabyte transport thru VCAST". You will not get charged for any web browsing done or transferring of data for downloading apps/games/music etc. This is TOTALLY seperate than your $5 text plan.

And to clarify your $5 plan only includes 250 messages to ANYBODY. It does not include unlimited VZW to VZW messages. And you will not get any MB charges for any messaging done.

0 Likes
mossy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, I guess I misstated the texting parameters and I understand it's not unlimited but I suppose my base question is why are there "kb" used on the usage page and does this accumulation get billed at billing time?

And BTW thanks for the response.

Message Edited by mossy on 06-15-2009 02:59 PM
0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

The website will still keep track of your usage of KB/MB even if you have the unlimited data plan, just as it does your N&W and VZW calls. That UNL MB XPORT - VCAST means you should be covered for all data usage and you'll only be billed the $15/month for the data package.

Now to dig a little deeper, what kind of phone do you have? And what applications, other than text/pix/flix are you using?

0 Likes
mossy
Enthusiast - Level 3

The phone is an LG Versa with full html browser.  Plan is Family Share - 700 minutes.  Using email app, downloaded Banking app but it doesn't cover my bank and my bank has its own mobile site (so that was a waste of money).  And I downloaded the GIN app just because it was there (dumb move although it doesn't cost anything).  I haven't subscribed to any services or sent my phone number to request ringtones or videos.  I HAVE checked out some of the available videos but have not downloaded any of them.

To clarify things,Alltel was my carrier for 17 years.  I got really tired of playing the waiting game to see what I could keep or not keep after the buyout of Alltel and my contract was up on both phones so I just went to Verizon and joined up.  i have no bad words about Verizon except that there are lots of exceptions in almost every service and if I'm not completely informed about each service I'm paying for I could run up a really big bill.  Alltel was pretty black and white about their services.  I don't find VZW to be that forthcoming about their services.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

So all those things that you're doing -- downloading apps, browsing thru video content is running MBs, but since you have a data plan it's going to be unlimited and you'll only be charged the $15.00 for the Vpak.

But I know what you mean, VZW does have a lot of fine print and little tidbits of info that is VERY important but hard to come by. But if you've noticed while browsing the apps if you click on "info" instead of purchase it will tell you "mb or airtime charges may apply depending on your plan". So it's there, you just have to keep digging to find it, but I think it's the first thing that should pop up whenever you open the GIN/Media Center catalog. How sneaky of them....

0 Likes
mossy
Enthusiast - Level 3
Thank you so much for all the information.  That really clears up my concerns
0 Likes
ENVtexas
I have a question that retains to this subject. I have an LG ENV Touch with unlimited vcast data on it. It came with the ability to connect to youtube and when you connect it says that it is data extensive program. It also says that you should buy a data package because of that. Would that fall into the vcast unlimited data rates?
0 Likes