Data being used while sim is removed.
redcoral

i am currently in australia. I removed my sim card before I landed. I have been using my phone to connect to wifi. I have just noticed that my phone is showing approx 350mb data has been used while the SIM card has been removed. I am obviously concerned. Previously using wifi has never shown as data usage on my phone. i was under the impression that if the SIM was removed that I would be safe from incurring any roaming fees, or any other charges.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Data being used while sim is removed.
rcschnoor
Legend

redcoral wrote:

What I mean is that when I access settings/data usage on my phone data counter it shows 350mb data for the 10 day period I have been out of the U.S. with the sim card removed. so, it would be the phone data counter.

This is not data which is reported to Verizon. This is simply data use your phone records. It can ONLY be recorded by Verizon if the data use was done while the SIM card was in the phone. Any data usage while the SIM card was removed from the phone could not possibly be recorded by Verizon as you did not have Verizon service without the SIM card in the phone.

However, IF the SIM card was inserted at least a portion of the time with the phone on and you out of the country, it is possible for at least some data use to have been recorded.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

That simply could have been residual data trying to process or what was processing before or after the flight. The sim could have been out but the phone can still exhibit connectivity. Other than that you should be fine. Intl travelers should understand there will always be a chance of connection.

0 Likes
redcoral

yes, but that 350mb, at $2.05 a mb is going to be billed at approx $700???? That seem sinredibly hrsh when I remov the sim to avoid charges!!

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

I would call global support so they can analyze when and where the usage occurred.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

redcoral wrote:

i am currently in australia. I removed my sim card before I landed. I have been using my phone to connect to wifi. I have just noticed that my phone is showing approx 350mb data has been used while the SIM card has been removed.

I am uncertain what you mean by "my phone is showing approx 350 MB data has been used while the SIM card has been removed." Do you mean you "phone" data counter is showing data has been used or the "MyVerizon app on your phone" has reported data since you removed the SIM card?

Your phone's data counter is independent of Verizon, it simply shows data being used whether it is Verizon's data or some other carrier, possibly even wifi in some instances. This is not a counter which reports usage to Verizon. If it is th MyVerizon app on your phone which is reporting data, that is not a "real time" counter, simply a counter which updates when data is reported to Verizon from their towers and can lag in time from 6-12 hours from the time it updates.

redcoral

What I mean is that when I access settings/data usage on my phone data counter it shows 350mb data for the 10 day period I have been out of the U.S. with the sim card removed. so, it would be the phone data counter.

I have not accessed the my Verizon app to see data usage there.  Currently I have my phone turned off , and at this point I am almost scared to turn it on until I am back in the US.

0 Likes
redcoral

Partly I also want to know, if the sim card is removed, can anything even get reported to Verizon from my phone?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

redcoral wrote:

This is not data which is reported to Verizon. This is simply data use your phone records. It can ONLY be recorded by Verizon if the data use was done while the SIM card was in the phone. Any data usage while the SIM card was removed from the phone could not possibly be recorded by Verizon as you did not have Verizon service without the SIM card in the phone.

However, IF the SIM card was inserted at least a portion of the time with the phone on and you out of the country, it is possible for at least some data use to have been recorded.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

redcoral wrote:

I have not accessed the my Verizon app to see data usage there. Currently I have my phone turned off , and at this point I am almost scared to turn it on until I am back in the US.

is the data usage a counter that is manually reset? On my phone it is. So maybe it's showing data before you removed the SIM?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

redcoral, we want to ensure you don't have any surprise charges. Is Global Roaming turned off on your device? KleoL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes