DROPPING CALLS, POOR RECEPTION
jhoce
Enthusiast - Level 3

I didn't think it was me! I have been with Verizon since 1985. Best coverage area by far, until now. However....I don't believe it is the towers or the phones that are causing the dropped calls, very poor warbled reception, and very slow data. Some intelligent techs are screwing around with the 1G,3G,4G,5G? (really??? WHATEVER). I don't care what you want to call it but could you please make sure it is not a downgrade BEFORE you guys activate anything!!!! And on top of that...the stupid firmware "upgrades" that are, or could be the cause of all this crappy "service" now popping up all over the place. Does anyone at Verizon actually put 2 and 2 together when they read of complaints from Florida to LA to Seattle, ETC,ETC of dropping calls and poor reception happening everywhere just in the last few months? If you do, then why are they always reading off a script of asking us... What phone we have?,Did you replace the simm card? Where do you live, oh your in a medium coverage area (ya right, it was fine for years), Did you replace your phone? Try a different phone, It's your antenna (when we have 5 phones and 3 are different manufactures) on and on and on.....

Enough already. Can I please have my old analog brick phone from 1985 activated again, at least I only had to put up with a little static. Oh, wait a minute, on second thought the brick phone didn't have data Smiley Sad

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DROPPING CALLS, POOR RECEPTION
Weth
Legend

IT is important to know what phone you have.  You see, "all phone calls only use 1G [1xrtt] anyways" is not true. All new smartphones can use 4G LTE for phone calls.  It is called VoLTE.  Verizon will be slowly removing 3G and using that capacity for 4G LTE which will be carrying more and more voice and data.  1x will be around for much longer time and nothing has been removed from the 1x access.

1G the old analog system, completely shut off and no longer used

2G is 1x and is used for voice and very slow data in older phones and phones withnVoLTE turned off

3G is data only EVDO and will slowly be turned off.  No effect at all on voice calls

4G is LTE and will be carrying all data and voice on new devices.

5G trials start next year.  But we won't see this for several more years. 

View solution in original post

Snn5
Legend

Although 5G doesn't exist in practicality yet, 5G is being tested next year though!!!

0 Likes
jhoce
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, that's my point. Why keep coming out with something " new" when even 3 g isn't consistent.

--- Original Message ---

Snn5
Legend

3G is all but gone and replaced by 4G LTE now, except in very remote areas.  It will be gone completely soon with LTE being the almost 100% technology preceding 5G one day in a couple years to come.

0 Likes
jhoce
Enthusiast - Level 3

According to your service techs, in our area we are still having 3G coverage even though 4G shows up on our phones. The cell sites are not fully changed over yet. That is the reason we are dropping calls and poor warbled reception. All phone calls only use 1G anyways.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

IT is important to know what phone you have.  You see, "all phone calls only use 1G [1xrtt] anyways" is not true. All new smartphones can use 4G LTE for phone calls.  It is called VoLTE.  Verizon will be slowly removing 3G and using that capacity for 4G LTE which will be carrying more and more voice and data.  1x will be around for much longer time and nothing has been removed from the 1x access.

1G the old analog system, completely shut off and no longer used

2G is 1x and is used for voice and very slow data in older phones and phones withnVoLTE turned off

3G is data only EVDO and will slowly be turned off.  No effect at all on voice calls

4G is LTE and will be carrying all data and voice on new devices.

5G trials start next year.  But we won't see this for several more years. 

Snn5
Legend

jhoce wrote:

According to your service techs, in our area we are still having 3G coverage even though 4G shows up on our phones.

So, you only have 3G even though your phone displays 4G?

jhoce
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, I miss spoke. I meant phone calls are 1 X not 1g. Same problem though. No one is explaining why our phones are dropping calls. We get new phones almost every year. I've used HTC, Samsung, Motorola. I am sticking with Motorola because they have the better antennas. We started having all these issues when they rolled out the 4G in our area.

--- Original Message ---

jhoce
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also, when we drive down to the Seattle metro area where they have done the 4G our phones work better. Go figure. We have 3 cell sites around us and we still have issues.

--- Original Message ---

0 Likes
jhoce
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's what the techs just told me 2 days ago.

--- Original Message ---

0 Likes