David7679

Why did my data meter not reset at the start of the new billing cycle? I have no idea how much data I have used. I was also told I would get a text telling when I was half and three quarters through my data and when it meets the max on my plan and then they wouldn't charge me for more data without my OK !!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DATA
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Your authorization for VZW to charge you overage fees is the use of more than the limit of data you selected as your monthly allowance. There are many ways to proactively monitor your usage. Some of them have already been outlined such as the mobile app (which includes a widget on Android devices) and changing your cycle date in your devices mobile data settings which gives an almost accurate count of mobile data usage. Some other ways are checking on www.vzw.com (which you had to visit to get to this site) by signing in to your account, and calling #DATA (#3282) from your dialer which will send you a free text message (does not count towards your monthly allotment) with your estimated usage as of time of the call. It is not VZW's responsibility to alert you about your data usage. Infant, I have a 30GB limit and my family used over 20GB last month. I did not get 1 text alert of my usage.

I am not trying to anger you with my response. I am trying to educate about how to monitor your account. We must take accountability for our own selves. You can't be mad at VZW if you go over your allotment if you do nothing to monitor your usage or prevent overages. It is ultimately your responsibility.

Happy day.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
civica
Enthusiast - Level 3

David7679

The meter does reset when the billing cycle is renewed, but it may not show immediately. The text messages are a courtesy, and may not even be completely accurate. They do not need your permission before charging you for excess used data. It's simply an alert, and nothing more.

GZRX
Contributor - Level 3

What phone are you using?  On the Samsung S5 there is a Verizon widget named MyVerizonMyData that can monitor data.  Also in the S5s' Settings menu there is an included Data Usage Counter.  For that phone counter to be accurate its' data usage cycle must be adjusted to match that of the Verizon data plan cycle.  Perhaps there is something similar on your phone.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Your authorization for VZW to charge you overage fees is the use of more than the limit of data you selected as your monthly allowance. There are many ways to proactively monitor your usage. Some of them have already been outlined such as the mobile app (which includes a widget on Android devices) and changing your cycle date in your devices mobile data settings which gives an almost accurate count of mobile data usage. Some other ways are checking on www.vzw.com (which you had to visit to get to this site) by signing in to your account, and calling #DATA (#3282) from your dialer which will send you a free text message (does not count towards your monthly allotment) with your estimated usage as of time of the call. It is not VZW's responsibility to alert you about your data usage. Infant, I have a 30GB limit and my family used over 20GB last month. I did not get 1 text alert of my usage.

I am not trying to anger you with my response. I am trying to educate about how to monitor your account. We must take accountability for our own selves. You can't be mad at VZW if you go over your allotment if you do nothing to monitor your usage or prevent overages. It is ultimately your responsibility.

Happy day.

0 Likes