Couldn't run a subscription check. Connect to the internet and try again.
the_chaos_technician

I just purchased a Kyocera Dura Force Pro 2 a couple of weeks ago from my local Verizon store to run on the $50/month prepaid plan. The ONLY reason I purchased a new phone is that Android apps have progressed enough that I could no longer side load them and get them to work in my Blackberry Classic.

If I try to set up a WiFi hotspot or tether to USB or Bluetooth I receive the error message "Couldn't run a subscription check. Connect to the internet and try again." and the process stops.

This feature was working perfectly on my Blackberry Classic under the same prepaid plan. Every weekday I would Bluetooth tether to my tablet to read the news at lunch. When my home internet would have an outage I could USB tether to my Liniux desktop to jump back online.

What is the fix for this? I went through the nonsense of having the gal at the Verizon store "re-seat" my SIM card, activate a new SIM card, soft re-set my phone, delete my account and re-activate my account. I guess that last part is like jiggling the handle on a leaky toilet. She did at least confirm that my $50 pre-paid plan does include tethering.

I spent forty five minutes on chat support. They accomplished nothing. I was told I would recieve an email from there super secret tech support ninjas in "a few hours" to confirm my issue had been resolved. That was six days ago. Still waiting on that email.

I used to provide tech support to a Verizon business partner. I can say with some certainty that this is not a hardware issue. How do I contact the unicorn at Verizon that can correct the faulty boolean in my account that will turn my tethering on for my new phone?

0 Likes
Re: Couldn't run a subscription check. Connect to the internet and try again.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We never want to see you have these mobile hotspot issues. Have you had the chance to Factory Reset your phone? 

TabithaJ_VZW

0 Likes
the_chaos_technician

I tried to tether to my phone an hour after I purchased it at the Verizon store. That is when I first noticed the error message.

I watched the clerk cut the seal on the box the night I bought it.

If I factory reset the phone won't that put it back to exactly like it was when it was removed from the box?

Have you seen a factory reset fix this specific issue before?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Excellent question, and that is correct! To confirm, if you reset your device it will be restored as when you first opened it out of the box. Was this able to help clarify your concern? DavidR_VZW

0 Likes
the_chaos_technician

Tethering didn't work on this phone when it was new out of the box. Are the responses to these threads just bots?

Who at Verizon can enable the tethering on my phone?

I needed this feature today.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure you are able to use this feature. Do you have cellular data or WiFi enabled when trying to turn on the Mobile Hotspot? 
KourtneyC_VZW

0 Likes
the_chaos_technician

Today just for fun I swapped my new SIM into my old phone. My Verizon account showed my model of phone to be the old one. I was able to use data, make a phone call and text message. When I tried to tether I got the error message that I must subscribe to a plan that includes tethering. So this is pretty clearly a Verizon issue in my account.

So I switched the SIM back to the new phone and finally called "tech support". Apparently you cannot call tech support you only get customer service. I was transferred to "tech support". There was a lot of laughter and people talking in the background. Based on the accent I assume the call center was in the Philippines.

Just like with chat support I was told that they would have to email someone to get the tethering feature to work on my phone again. This is pretty disappointing. If they cannot get it working this time I am going to have to start researching other carriers.

0 Likes