Contract ending, want to switch carriers
vburke85

Hello everyone,

I signed my 2-year family plan contract on April 18, 2010.  I am thinking about switching to another carrier because my family and I want smartphones, but we've determined that Verizon just costs too much.  If I switch now, will I get hit with the early termination fee?  I looked in My Verizon and there is no Contract End Date listed.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Contract ending, want to switch carriers
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your contract hasn't ended yet so, yes, there will be an early termination fee.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You say you signed your "Family Plan" contract on April 18, 2010. Actually, there are no contracts on "plans", just on lines of service and usually in return for purchasing a phone at a discounted(subsidized) price.

Did you purchase ALL of your phones at the same time? You have a separate contract on EACH line, so unless you purchased/activated ALL of your lines at that time, you will have different contract end dates. If you did purchase/activate ALL of your phones on that date, your contract end date will be April 18, 2012 and there will be an ETF if you cancel/switch your service prior to that date.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello vburke85,

We definitely do not want to lose you! I'd be more than happy to look into your account to see the contract end dates for your lines and to discuss other options. Please send me a DM with your name and mobile number. I'd be happy to help!

Christina B
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
verizoncustomernoserv

Good luck with trying to find contract information online.  This is just another method of verizon trying to "hide" their charges and contracts and nail the customer.  I have been searching and searching online for my contract and all they provide is the means to spend more money.  No real maintenance of your account and plan.  I have communicated with them numerous times about issues adn nothing has been resolved with the customer in mind.

0 Likes
askjeeves
Contributor - Level 1

I'm sick of all you idiots. Verizon is not hiding anything from you. If you can't find your contract end dates, your upgrade dates are plastered all over the place. Add 4 months to those.

Verizon is not out to get you.

<<  Please keep your posts courteous >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

verizoncustomernoservice wrote:

Good luck with trying to find contract information online.  This is just another method of verizon trying to "hide" their charges and contracts and nail the customer.  I have been searching and searching online for my contract and all they provide is the means to spend more money.

Verizon is your cellular provider, NOT your filekeeper. You are provided a copy of your contract when your sign it. At least I have EVERY time I have ever signed a contract with Verizon. Additionally, Verizon gives you access to an "online" copy of your contract for 1 year after you sign the contract. If you feel you NEED a copy of your contract and fail to download and save a copy within that 1 yr time frame, well I guess you didn't need it all that much!

boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

It is true that they are not your record keepers.  However, it is also true that they have that information on file and, if requested, they should be able to provide that information to you.  If you ask for it and they give you misinformation or can't provide it for you, that's a problem.  If they can hit you with early cancellation fees, they certainly have that information on file somewhere. 

Have you tried contacting Verizon to ask them about your contract end date?

boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

I find it a bit sad that there are hundreds to thousands of concerns, issues, and support requests in these forums and the only time I see a Verizon person pop up and address anything is to either a) moderate a minor issue on a technicality or b) someone's contract is almost up and THEN they want to provide excellent customer service (as seen here). 

I'm willing to bet if this person had a year or more left on their contract, you probably wouldn't be replying here.  Can you guys please hire more support people to deal with the volume of requests on here?  The service online has been truly terrible at best.  Most the helpful posts are by community members rather than Verizon reps and that's a bit disappointing. 

rcschnoor
Legend

boobdole wrote:

If they can hit you with early cancellation fees, they certainly have that information on file somewhere. 

As a corollary to this statement, if I can be hit with cancellation fees, I make sure to KEEP the copy of my contract from when I signed it or to DOWNLOAD a copy within a year after signing the contract since at the time of signing, I was told it would be available online for 1 year.

0 Likes