Re: Complaint about Verizon "Free Tablet" promotion
Tidbits
Legend

Not reading the contract doesn't exempt people from honoring the contract...

0 Likes
1976pianoman

Who told you this?  Did you learn this at the Verizon Store?  Because this is the ignorance that is driving this racket and will end up being the death of them. 

This is a bait and switch scam.  It's something the FTC and City Attorney's office will be all over, once they are made aware of it.    I have a witness that worked at the Verizon Store whom left because of this dishonesty.  She was smart enough to know that they were wrong.  The problem is at the store management level.  They are sadly misinformed as to contract law and the FTC laws protecting consumers from what they are doing.    The violation of Business and Professional Code 17500, 17505 and Civil Code 1770 not only nulls the contract, it also opens the door for legal action and potential jail time and fines.  

As a salesperson, what you say to the customer has to jive with what the contract states.  You cannot use subterfuge and misleading statements to get a customer to sign a contract.  The fact that the contract was signed is meaningless from a legal standpoint.  Yes, the store can enforce it, but if you get an attorney and/or the FTC and City Attorney involves the the truth will be painfully bestowed upon the store.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It's not try going to the FTC. It's been this way since the 90 ' when you buy a cell phone under a contract.

0 Likes
1976pianoman

I've already consulted with a law firm whom is ready and waiting to take this, all on the basis of FTC and some civil violations.  We have not yet officially filed, so we'll see.  Verizon knows who I am, they know I have legal backing and they know I am a threat to a class action, so it appears my own posts here have been taken down by moderators.  So I came to this thread only to support the OP, letting him know he's not alone and that I am handling it.  I'm sorry for engaging others here.  I suppose that was bound to happen.  I didn't mean to come here to debate law.  I'll leave that up to my legal counsel.   Take care all.   and Merry Christmas. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Why not officially file? People before you have and lost just a FYI. I wish you luck.

0 Likes
1976pianoman

I'm about to.  I'm giving them 14 days.  The reason why others have failed is because in the way of bait and switch laws, it's impossible to prove that the sales person lied when he/she was speaking to the customer about the contract.

My case is different.  I have a witness to the whole sales pitch.  There were two of us present.  Imani our salesperson, even tried to separate us because he knew if only one person was present, he's protected.  It's a common tactic.  He failed at doing this.  He was very close though. 

I also have very damning testimony from two previous employee from that very store that left because of these underhanded tactics. 

I'd rather give Verizon the opportunity to fix this rather than forcing that upon them through legal means, local print and TV news and online viral campaigns.  It's just going to get really messy if I proceed down that path. 

Thanks for the luck wishes.  This whole thing makes me sick to my stomach.  I've teared up over it twice I'm so upset.  And I cry over nothing!   

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yes it's impossible because people don't read. It's why they have 14 to 30 days to spend 20 minutes to read the terms. The terms are no different than when you signed up for you our phone that you got for "free"

0 Likes
1976pianoman

The edge plan "free" phone was indeed very clear.  It was obvious that we were financing the phone.  The salesperson did disclose that.   He didn't disclose the information about the monthly fees for the tablets.  In fact, he lied and said there weren't any.  The law doesn't care what the contract says, it cares what the salesperson says. 

0 Likes
gracecake
Enthusiast - Level 2

Exactly. When verizon has a free phone offer people have no problem paying

for service. But when it's a tablet that also has cellular service to the

data plan that should be free also? Plus verizon should waive the

activation fee of the line of course. Mind boggling.

I get what he's saying about the laws but he signed a legal binding

contract. That simple. And regardless of what the agent in store said, it

states in Verizons terms and conditions that verbal statements said by

agents are not legally binding. I've read it. And you would have to agree

to this in order to get a free or discounted device.

0 Likes
1976pianoman

What's utterly mind bogging is this rational to rationalize this bait and switch tactic:

"When verizon has a free phone offer people have no problem paying

for service. But when it's a tablet that also has cellular service to the

data plan that should be free also? Plus verizon should waive the

activation fee of the line of course."

Of course we don't expect the tablet to have no activation and no monthly fees.  It sounds too good to be true.  But that is what we were told.  We were lied to.  We kept asking, "are you sure there are no monthly fees for the tablets?!"

"No" he kept saying. 

We repeated over and over again,  "We don't want the tablets.  We have no use for them." 

He said, "They are free.  You should just take them." 

That is clearly a violation of the laws I mentioned earlier. 

What you are saying is that based on logic, we should have known the salesperson was lying to us.  I really do hope that you guys are going to use that line in court.  It would be quite amusing. 

What's also mind boggling is that the store will not make good on this.  Assuming it was just a miscommunication like the store is claiming, why not allow the customer to get out of the contract?  The reason is obvious.  Because the whole thing was a racket to begin with.  It's a bait and switch scam, and they are well aware they are doing it. 

You guys know that you are using deception in the sales pitch to push the tablets.   Then you hide behind your weak, "you should have known and you should have read the contract"  excuse.   It's a very poor and psychologically under-developed mode and rational you are stuck in.   I encourage you to stick with it.  In fact, please stick with it - it will make our job in court so much easier. 

0 Likes