Combat Robo Calls - When Will Verizon Implement Caller ID Authentication?
AJCAMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

The FCC has finally had enough of illegal Robo Marketing Calls and has called for all major voice carriers to implement the SHAKEN/STIR standards for CALLER ID AUTHENTICATION!

WHEN WILL VERIZON IMPLEMENT THE ANTI-ROBO Technology??

This is the FCC link that discusses SHAKEN/STIR ANTI-ROBO TECHNOLOGY and CALLER ID AUTHENTICATION:

https://www.fcc.gov/call-authentication

This report talks about the problem with Caller ID Spoofing and why Verizon Tools such as call blocking are completely ineffective against new robo call technology! I suggested this technology to Verizon over a year ago - to verify caller ID and drop robo calls that spoof caller ID. but Verizon didn't listen. Now the FCC is DEMANDING that after Dec 2019, all major carriers have SHAKEN/STIR technology on place! I hope Verizson is listening!

SHAKEN/STIR is a caller ID authentication protocol. It provides for carriers to "Digitally Sign" caller ID across communications networks to verify that caller ID is not being spoofed by robo callers. Since caller ID can only be verified by the call-originating carrier, it would be the responsibility to the originating carrier to 'digitally sign' the caller ID it is passing onto other networks and validate that the Caller ID was not spoofed. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO DETECT AND BLOCK RBO CALLS!

Thank You Verizon for adopting this technology ASAP!

Re: Combat Robo Calls - When Will Verizon Implement Caller ID Authentication?
bmfb1980
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had the same cell number for 30 years, and I guarantee nobody gets more spam/fraudulent calls than I do.  I won't surrender my number (wouldn't matter anyway as random calls could still dial my number if someone else had it).

I put the same solution you did 2 years ago to the gov't and verizon/sprint... but apparently they didn't care what either of us had to say (until now for some reason).

The callerID authentication is not entirely foolproof though... because of how voip works and that certificates can be forged.   A cell carrier cannot validate information from a land-based or voip line, and since those sources aren't going away... they will be the numbers being spoofed.   There are still hard-wired lines in existence that are part of this phone network, that can't use authentication.

The philosophy to "verify that a call is from the person making it", which is the premise of this entire movement, really can't be implemented well unless humans and companies are basically assigned phone number(s) that they "own" and are responsible for, and that are "linked" to them.   And how does one prevent stealing of that digital signature?  (You can't).   It's no different than attempting to trace an internet post back to the original source laptop and where it was made.  Yes, it may be revealed but not 100% of the time 😞   so it will be with ID authentication I'm afraid. 

I agree they've had the ability to stop/prevent these calls for *years* now and have been really not interested in doing so.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

bmfb1980, I'm sorry that you keep receiving unwanted calls. I'm not a fan of pesky calls either. Robocalls are something that unfortunately is becoming way too common. These robocalls are not affiliated in any way with Verizon Wireless. Our Verizon Call Filter ( http://spr.ly/6183DN185 ) is a great app at recognizing/screening unwanted calls. We do have some other recommendations that may curb the annoying calls. We suggest that you register on the National Do Not Call Registry http://spr.ly/6189D2hJf. If you are not having success with our Call Filter feature, you can look for a possible 3rd party app that may have the blocking/screening capabilities that you're looking for. One other thing you may want to do is file a complaint with the FCC. Here's their link http://spr.ly/6189D2huD. Lastly, I know that changing your number isn't the most favorable option, but it might be something to consider. You can do that for free right from your My Verizon account http://spr.ly/6180D2hJA. I am confident  that at least one of my suggestions will help.

KevinM_VZW

0 Likes
AJCAMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi,

(1) I have one simple question for you and Verizon. What tool/app do you have in place that defeats CALLER-ID SPOOFING?

You can't in any way defeat spoofed CallerID by using BLOCKING TOOLS - THEY BY DEFINITION ARE USELESS AGAINST CALLERID SPOOFING (Unless you want me to block every single phone number in existence).

(2) And secondly, If your solutuion works then why would the FCC Chairman demand that all major voice carriers implement Caller-ID Authentication and Digital Signatures?

And, seriously? The National Do-Not-Call List????? Dumb. You must know that the national do-not-call list is available to robocall telemarketers right? So they download a golden gift of LIVE-IN USE CELL PHONE NUMBERS. Thank You very much US Government. And add Caller-ID Spoofing, and WHAM, impossible to seek action against robocallers. Are are you dumb enough to think a robo caller is going to offer to me their Name, Actual Phone Number and Address?? Right. Think Again. In fact, how about just thinking, period. 

AJCAMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

And, don't hand me the Verizon company line. If Verizon won't implement Caller-ID AUthentication then YES, VERIZON IS TO BLAME FOR ROBOCALLS.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Receiving unwanted robocalls constantly is definitely not the experience that we want you to have, and we want to provide you with all the available tools to avoid them. Our Call Filter app is definitely your device's best friend to help you avoid these calls. The following link will provide you with more information about this amazing app. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/call-filter-faqs/

GeovannJ_VZW

0 Likes
redneckinfedel
Enthusiast - Level 1

customers are expected to pay to have verizon filter robo calls???  that is dang near grounds to cancel service!!   its verizons network, verizon should keep the robo tellemarketers off as a good will gesture to customers.  Oh, wait, verizon is promoting/allowing robo calls to sell their filter service???? sure looks like it from my veiw point!!!

Hiway1999
Enthusiast - Level 1

That Verizon rep is like a politician. Answer the actual question. When will the MANDATED BY LAW shaken/ stir protocols go in place?

You avoided answering that and I'd bet my life savings you know you did.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hiway1999, please click on the following web page https://www.verizon.com/about/responsibility/robocalls for all the information that we have about the STIR/SHAKEN standard.

DavidC_VZW

0 Likes
Peter_from_NYC
Enthusiast - Level 1

Renda of Verizon Customer Care will call me back by Sep 11, 2020 as to whether there is progress in identifying spoofing calls, perhaps using the STIR/SHAKEN technology.

0 Likes