Clarify data usage on new Beyond Unlimited plan
dsttexas
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have 2 cell phones and a jetpack mifi device on Verizon.  Plus a windows laptop and an Android tablet that typical connect through the jetpack. We have been and are on the 30GB plan ($135 plan plus line charges = $185, shared 30GB data on all devices) and when needed buy additional 1GB data chunks for $15.

Regarding limiting speeds during congested times on the new Beyond Unlimited plan it says EACH LINE has up 22GB of 4G LTE regular data usage AND 15GB of hotspot usage before being restrained speed wise.  So this means I could connect the laptop and tablet to the jetpack until it reaches 15GB hotspot limit then shut it off for the rest of the month, and then when either PC or Tablet needs internet, turn on one of the cell phones Mobile Hotspot feature as needed, then off again when not needed and back to its own 4G LTE.  Both phones stay on their own 4G LTE data with high performance until that usage hits 22GB on each one, and never connect to the jetpack under normal conditions so they do not eat up that bandwidth needed for the PC and tablet.

This way, in essence, we have a total of 45GB of 4G LTE hotspot usage available using all three devices, before any slow downs.  Plus we have 22 GB of 4G LTE data usage on each cell phone before slow down.

Comparing this $180 plan to my current $185 plan, I would have a grand total of 89GB of 4G LTE data usage, versus current 30GB before having to buy more - although the complexity of managing it must be considered.

Is this all correct?  (Preferably a Verizon support response on this)

Don

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Clarify data usage on new Beyond Unlimited plan
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 15 GB LTE hotspot data usage is counted against the 22 GB total usage before the deprioritization trigger.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Clarify data usage on new Beyond Unlimited plan
dsttexas
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, so to update or restate my summary conclusions then:

Current 30GB plan - $185, 30GB total data usage before going into Safety mode at horrible 2G service (128KB), or buying more 4G LTE at $15 per 1GB

New Beyond Unlimited plan - $180, 45GB of total hotspot 4G data to use with PC and tablet, plus 14GB regular 4G LTE data (7GB on each cell phone) to use without either being a hotspot or connected to one.

I presume when a phone is set as a mobile hotspot, all it's data and all that from any connected device goes against that phone's 15GB limit until its mobile hotspot is turned off.  And when limit is reached and hotspot is turned off, that phones own data usage goes against the remaining 7GB of 4G data usage, for each phone.

What we have been doing is both phones had WiFi on all the time connected to jetpack when in reach, so almost all data usage from all devices showed up logged against the jetpack line. That has to change with new plan.

In general I believe our biggest consumption of data usage will still be from the PC connected to either Jetpack or phone hotspot (at least 75%), and with the new plan using 3 devices for this with 45GB available vs old plan of (less than) 30GB, hence the new plan looks pretty good from PC usage perspective.  And still have phones own data usage available.

Sound about right?

0 Likes