Charging a 40 dollar activation fee to loyal customers
Jrk720

I think it is ridiculous that Verizon charges a 40 dollar fee when you are locking into a new contract for 2 more years and you have been a loyal customer for along time. Whether you know about the fee or not during time of activation you should not be getting ripped off when you have been so loyal to a company and continue to try to be. I think it is ridiculous that Verizon doesn't even try to help their customers out at all.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Charging a 40 dollar activation fee to loyal customers
Snn5
Legend

I think it's ridiculous for you to pledge allegiance to a multi-billion dollar corporate conglomerate.

mcreadon
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been with VZW 19 years and have not once received or have ever been offered consideration as the result of my loyalty.  VZW believes you are hopelessly tied up in their contracts and cannot afford to buy yourself out of leaving them.  In the vast majority of cases, VZW are right that their customers cannot afford to leave them.  It's the only dynamic which would permit such poor customer service. 

On one hand I am embarrassed to be a shareholder.  On the other, I realize the breathtaking power the company has over its customer base.  Sad commentary.  And I'm sorry if I have offended you. 

Snn5
Legend

Oh, no...I am NOT offended.  I found the better, (for me) route.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is called an Upgrade Fee when renewing the contract.  The activation fee only occurs when you open a new line of service.

You pay either of Activation Fee or Upgrade Fee in the corporate store during the transaction.  If it was on your bill then you went to a third party retailer.

You could have avoid paying an Upgrade Fee if you had chosen to purchase the phone at the full retail price or through the Device Payment program.  With the Device Payment, you could have still paid the amount you paid for the contract price as a down payment on the price of the phone.  That would have lowered your monthly installment amounts that would be on your bill.

Depending on the plan you have, you line access line for the contracted line will be $40 for the next two years.  With the full retail price or the device payments, you could have reduced your line access fee to $15 or 20 or 25 per month depending on which plan you have

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sobertal

I have to agree, my son got his phone from the V store and doesn't have to pay the $40, his is $20. I have been with V for a long time but that may change soon.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Why? To pay an activation fee at the next company, which you were trying to avoid in the first place?

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

sobertal wrote:

I have to agree, my son got his phone from the V store and doesn't have to pay the $40, his is $20. I have been with V for a long time but that may change soon.

I think you are confusing the line access fee with the upgrade fee. The upgrade fee has been around since 2012 and is a one time charge at the time of purchasing a device with a discount and signing a contract. You then are charged $40 a month for that line for 2 years. The $20 fee is because that line is either out of contract or because it is on a device payment plan and paying an additional amount monthly to pay for the phone's full retail price.

0 Likes