Changing to 4G phone on existing 3G Unlimited plan
littlesprout

I currently have 2 HTC DINCs (both w/ unlimited data plans) and a dumb phone on family plan. All are up for upgrades and plan expiring in mid Dec 2012. I want to keep the two unlimited data plans but change out the phones to 4G LTE phones. So from my reading, it appears I have the following options:

1. Buy 2 new 4G LTE phones at full price, either from Verizon or some third party (eBay), and go month-to-month.
  2. Upgrade the dumb phone to a 4G LTE phone using that phones upgrade and get the new data plan for that phone. Then activate the new phone on one of the existing smartphone lines keeping the existing dumb phone on its line. Then drop the new data plan on the dumb phone line. Lastly, pay full price for a 4G LTE on the remaining smartphone. I believe this would leave me with 2 new 4G LTE phones w/ unlimited data plans and the original dumb phone just as the first option did, but with a new 2 yr contact.

Questions:

1. Are the two options above the only options I have to upgrade the two smartphones to 4G and retain the unlimited data plans on each?
  2. Am I correct that just by switching the ESNs (phones) on the existing plan in option 1, regardless of how I obtained the new 4G LTE phones, I would retain the existing unlimited data plans and now enjoy 4G functionality on the two new phones?
  3. Would it be better to pay full retail on new phones and renew existing plan for another 2 years? Or just stay month to month using new phones?
  4. Is it also true I can tether using new 4G phones?

BTW - Looking to upgrade to the Razr Maxx from the original HTC DINCs. Maybe even HD versions. I had battery issues with the DINCs.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Changing to 4G phone on existing 3G Unlimited plan
Tidbits
Legend

As long as you buy the devices without taking the subsidy you will keep unlimited data.

0 Likes
Re: Changing to 4G phone on existing 3G Unlimited plan
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi littlesprout!

Upgrading to a new phone is an exciting time! Please know that when upgrading, you have options w/us regarding your data plan. If you accept the discounted cost for the phone, you would have to change to tiered data. You can do this by either changing your data plan only and keeping your voice plan the way it is (2GB for $30 or 5GB for $50), or you can go with our new Share Everything plan. Depending on your usage, you may not need unlimited data, and be better off on one of the new plans. Here's a link on how to do an account analysis for your average usage http://bit.ly/UL1k69 . Then, visit this link to see if the Share Everything plan would benefit you http://bit.ly/Ur5AZp . If so, then you can get your device at the discounted rate with a new 2yr service agreement. If neither of these options appeal to you, and you find you don't want your unlimited data to change, you have the choice of buying the phone at the retail price. With this option, you can keep the unlimited data, and you would not have a service agreement.

Thanks!

Christina B
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes