Carryover Data
STELAW87

Carryover data sucks.  Why is the carryover data not used before the planned data in the new billing cycle?  I was very excited when this came out just to find out that like everything else with Verizon....its a rip-off!!!!!  Verizon.... Get your [Removed] together!

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Carryover Data
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I agree it would be a lot better for us if the carryover were used first, that isn't the way Verizon has chosen to structure it, (or AT&T for that matter, as others have pointed out, it works exactly the same way as AT&T's) 

It's not a rip-off, as you have the potential to use more than your allowance for no extra charge; if you are in the right plan, you will benefit by not having an overage on those months when you "cut it close" - and most months you will have a little left.  Prior to to carryover, it just went away ... now at least you have it for another 30 days.  How is it a rip-off if you have more for the same price?

Bottom line - (and it IS about the bottom line, Verizon is a business) I've got more now than I had two months ago, and the price is the same.  I'm not complaining.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The carryover data policy used by Verizon Wireless was likely modeled after the AT&T carryover data policy as they both use the data that's carried over in the same way. There are also a number of other discussions within the community that discuss this in more detail.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I agree it would be a lot better for us if the carryover were used first, that isn't the way Verizon has chosen to structure it, (or AT&T for that matter, as others have pointed out, it works exactly the same way as AT&T's) 

It's not a rip-off, as you have the potential to use more than your allowance for no extra charge; if you are in the right plan, you will benefit by not having an overage on those months when you "cut it close" - and most months you will have a little left.  Prior to to carryover, it just went away ... now at least you have it for another 30 days.  How is it a rip-off if you have more for the same price?

Bottom line - (and it IS about the bottom line, Verizon is a business) I've got more now than I had two months ago, and the price is the same.  I'm not complaining.

DJACOB62
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is a ripoff. They basically made it so you can't carry over any data for two consecutive months.

They didn't describe this adequately when they came out with it.

I switched to Verizon in June and I don't think I'll keep Verizon if they want to screw the customer like this.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You'll get the same thing at AT&T.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DJACOB62,

We certainly wouldn't want to see you go anywhere. We're glad to have you in the Verizon family and want to make sure you love our service. Carry over data is meant to only carry over one month at a time. I certainly understand preferring it to process first but even as is does still provides extra data some months and a great extra value to protect against going over from time to time. If you are regularly using more than the plan though we would recommend increasing the plan.

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

DJACOB62 wrote:

It is a ripoff. They basically made it so you can't carry over any data for two consecutive months.

This is just NOT true. EVERY month you are under your data allowance, you WILL have carryover data. 6 consecutive months under your data allowance and you would have had 6 consecutive months of carryover data.

Some people are misinterpreting carryover data as increasing your data allowance. It DOES NOT do that. Carryover data is meant for the OCCASIONAL instance where you go over your data allowance. If you go over your data allowance every month, you likely should be on a larger allowance. Carryover data in ANY fashion would not help someone who CONSTANTLY goes over their monthly allowance.

The only way you would not have carryover data in a month would be if you went over your data allowance in the previous month. So, if you go over your data allowance in the previous month and you go over your data allowance AGAIN the following month, I would start to wonder if you are on the right data allowance for your usage. Yes, in this example you would not have carryover data for the 3rd month in a row, but then again you have gone over your allowance for the 3rd month in a row. This does not sound like an OCCASIONAL exceeding of your data allowance. You want carryover data to carryover indefinitely? When do you expect to be 10-12 GB UNDER your data allowance to have enough data to carryover in order to cover going over your allowance for 5-6 months(or more) in a row?

The way carryover data is set up, if you go over every other month, you would have carryover data in those 6 months you go over your allowance. If you go over your allowance more than half the time, you should consider getting a larger allowance.

Weth
Legend

I have carried over data a few months in a row. It is great insurance if I do happen to have a high use month. If you are using all your data every month, you should consider a higher plan.

0 Likes
adr1997
Enthusiast - Level 2

lets map this out:

-lets say you have a 4GB plan,

- 1st month you only use 3GB.

-your 2nd month you have a total of 5GB

- but lets say you only use 3GB again.

-that extra GB of your ORIGINAL data plan will roll over again.

-but that following month you went over to lets say 4.5GB

- but you don't have to worry, your carryover data prevents you from being charged 15$.

-but yet you don't have extra data next month

-but you still stay under the limit for the next month and only use 3.5GB

-the month following you have a extra .5 GB to save you if you accidentally spent too much time streaming videos

So in the end, it is not a rip off its a program that allows you to accidentally go over and not be charged if you have not used up your data. it also makes it so that safety mode will not kick in and throttle your speeds to slower than snail speed.