Cancellation problems
sborrink
Enthusiast - Level 1

My family has used Verizon for years, and we love their services. However, I moved to South Korea last June, and in July my phone stopped working. It will not charge or turn on. I had taken it to stores here to try and get the phone fixed because it is a Samsung, but no one could find out what the problem was. Since then I have continued to be billed for a phone that doesn't work, for 8 MONTHS! I have suspended services on the phone, but i'm stuck with a bill over $200 that is due next month on the 7th of next month, when i don't get paid until the 10th. How do I cancel services from overseas? More importantly, am I the only person who thinks its wrong to continuously be billed for something that doesn't work?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cancellation problems
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/support.html

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon must have set you up for global before you left.   Typically that includes a prepaid local SIM card.  Which I believe you have to continue to pay for or renew monthly.   You need to contact Verizon Global services to get this fixed.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global.html

0 Likes
sborrink
Enthusiast - Level 1

Unfortunately, my departure from America was rather sudden (a teaching position became available but i had only a few days to pack everything and leave), and I did not get transferred to an international or global plan. I didn't mind paying the bill when the phone was working. However, online, I can't find an option for "Cancel Services" which would make this whole situation a lot easier.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

sborrink wrote:

My family has used Verizon for years, and we love their services. However, I moved to South Korea last June, and in July my phone stopped working. It will not charge or turn on. I had taken it to stores here to try and get the phone fixed because it is a Samsung, but no one could find out what the problem was. Since then I have continued to be billed for a phone that doesn't work, for 8 MONTHS! I have suspended services on the phone, but i'm stuck with a bill over $200 that is due next month on the 7th of next month, when i don't get paid until the 10th. How do I cancel services from overseas? More importantly, am I the only person who thinks its wrong to continuously be billed for something that doesn't work?

Unfortunately,  you are not the only person who feels that way. There are a lot out there who have that same flawed logic.

You cannot cancel service online. You have to call. I cannot remember the Global Teams number but regular care is 8009220204.  Keep in mind if still under an agreement and you cancel you will be liable for the termination fees if any. Moving to Korea was voluntary and therefore any fees would be valid.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/support.html

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Altruistic_1
Enthusiast - Level 3

First, your service is not billed based on if you're able to use it or not but on its availability. If your phone stopped working and you didn't have a phone to replace it, you should have gone into your My Verizon account online and suspended service (there is usually even an option to also suspend charges). That would have prevented charges for at least approximately six months, enough time for you to figure out what you wanted to do about your defective phone. 

Also, you can contact a vzw's online chat service to see if they would cancel service for you. If not, they can give you the information you would need to make a free call from a landine phone in Korea to their global support team. You can also speak with the billing department regarding the delay in your payment.

jollyren
Enthusiast - Level 2

In my experience (being in malaysia from USA) I cannot use chat. It is greyed out at all times of day. It even says 7am - 1am EST, and I am on at 11:00pm on the dot right now. Greyed out. The number will not call from skype. I have tried about a dozen times at different times in the day. The whole system is FUBAR for people who have left the country for a time.

0 Likes