Can someone tell me if I got this right
hotdog2100

My current plan has 2 smartphones and 1 basic phone paying about $152.xx/month (I will do everything before tax here)

If I were to get the new tiered plan, I would have to pay $190 because I am getting the 6GB plan (I calculated this through the Verizon calculator and I think the result is before tax).

And here comes the frustrating part if I were to purchase a phone at subsidized price I will have to pay 299.99 + 299.99 = 599.98 for two 32GB Iphone 5 along with the new plan. So in 2 years time, I will have to pay $9120 (new phone bill plan before tax) + $599.98 (2 phones before tax) = $9719.98

On the other hand, If I were to purchase two 32GB iphone at full retail price, the total will be $1499.98 (before tax). I'm assuming, I will stick to my old family plan. In 2 years time, I will have to pay $152 (let's make it to 152 b/c I don't remember the cents) x 48 = $7296. Then $7296 + $1499.98 = $8795.98.

My calculations tell me that I will be saving a total of $924 in 2years time if I were to purchase the 2 iphone at full price.

Additional Info.: We do not need unlimited talking or texting. It's good the way it is now. This calculation is all be4 tax.

So I'm wondering, did I do the calculations right? So is it cheaper for me to keep my current plan than getting into the new plan? So is it worth it to get the 4G phone at full price in order to keep my current plan with unlimited data?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can someone tell me if I got this right
Not applicable

If you have unlimited yes you will enjoy the 4G because it is much faster than 3G and since you're unlimited you don't have to worry about overages.

Your math is off though

190 X 24 months = $4560 + $600 for 2 Iphones 5s = $5160

152 X 24 months= $3648 +$1500 for 2 iphone 5s =$ 5148

So you save $12 paying for the phones outright or 50 cents a month. If you think you are going to use more than 6 GB or just don't want to have to worry about going over I'd buy the phones outright.

Some word of caution. If you don't upgrade once your contract ends you are month to month which means Verizon can take away unlimited at any time. Now it's unlikely that would do that anytime soon but it might happen before 2 years from now.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Brian, to tweak your numbers a bit more, add the $30 upgrade fee times 2 to your first line of calculation.  If the OP pays full price there wouldn't be an upgrade fee, so the savings is $72 over 24 months or $3 a month.  Again, not really a material difference, but something for the OP to consider.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yeah I forgot that. Thanks. To me it's basically the same still. If I could swing the $1500 I do that and keep unlimited since it's all the same. The big BUT is that I assume since they are eligible for an upgrade they have 4 months or less on their contract. who is to say that in 6 months or a year Verizon says no more unlimited for those not under contract? Then you paid $1500 for nothing.

0 Likes
hotdog2100

The math I did was this:

190 X 48 = 9120 + 600 =  9720

152 X 48 = 7296 + 1500 = 8796

Thus, I would save $924 in a course of 2 years. The difference between the full retail and subsidized price is $450, so $900 for 2 phones. So I will save $24 in a course of 2 years because I plan to keep the phone until the contract ends like I always do. Even though the $24 is not that much of a difference but at least I'm saving $24 + not having to worry about exceeding my data usage.

The point of this question is to make myself comfortable of buying the phone at full retail price because I originally thought that I would be a fool to buy a phone that's $800!!

Oh yeah, I would definitely buy the phones and renew my contract before it ends. I don't want to lose that data afterall. Thanks.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

hotdog2100 wrote:

The math I did was this:

190 X 48 = 9120 + 600 =  9720

152 X 48 = 7296 + 1500 = 8796

Thus, I would save $924 in a course of 2 years. The difference between the full retail and subsidized price is $450, so $900 for 2 phones. So I will save $24 in a course of 2 years because I plan to keep the phone until the contract ends like I always do. Even though the $24 is not that much of a difference but at least I'm saving $24 + not having to worry about exceeding my data usage.

The point of this question is to make myself comfortable of buying the phone at full retail price because I originally thought that I would be a fool to buy a phone that's $800!!

Oh yeah, I would definitely buy the phones and renew my contract before it ends. I don't want to lose that data afterall. Thanks.

The point about your math being off is that there are 24 months in 2yrs, not 48.

B33
Legend

+1 Rc.....Teacher  and no... Sleeping In Class

0 Likes
Not applicable

Even on Mars 2 years is only 45 months not 48.

0 Likes
hotdog2100

HAHA, big FAIL. I'm sorry. I don't know why I kept on using 48.

0 Likes