Can Verizon refuse to port my number to another carrier if I have an overdue balance?
ledererster

I am on my family's account, and breaking off to another carrier. A person in verizon customer service stated that my number is not eligible for porting because there is a past due balance on the account.  In doing some research, I've found that they cannot refuse to port the number even if money is still owed.  Is this true? Do I need to contact customer service for my new carrier to initiate the porting process? Doing it in their online tool was causing issues.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can Verizon refuse to port my number to another carrier if I have an overdue balance?
Ptmc518
Contributor - Level 3

@ledererster I think if they receive a request from another carrier they are obligated to port the number.  FCC.gov:

Fees and charges

• Companies may charge their customers fees to recover the costs that they incur in providing number portability. Ask the new company whether it charges any number portability fees and whether those fees can be waived.
  • Companies may not refuse to port a number because a consumer has not paid for porting.
  • Once you request service from a new company, your old company can't refuse to port your number, even if you owe money for an outstanding balance or termination fee; however, you are still obligated to pay any unpaid balances or fees, if applicable.

Having worked for a telecommunications company previously, I know that whenever we got a request from another company to port a number to them, we were not allowed to refuse.  I think the rep you spoke to was misinformed.

I would contact your new carrier and have them submit the request through their processes.  Verizon should receive the request and will have to comply.

View solution in original post

Re: Can Verizon refuse to port my number to another carrier if I have an overdue balance?
Ptmc518
Contributor - Level 3

@ledererster I think if they receive a request from another carrier they are obligated to port the number.  FCC.gov:

Fees and charges

• Companies may charge their customers fees to recover the costs that they incur in providing number portability. Ask the new company whether it charges any number portability fees and whether those fees can be waived.
  • Companies may not refuse to port a number because a consumer has not paid for porting.
  • Once you request service from a new company, your old company can't refuse to port your number, even if you owe money for an outstanding balance or termination fee; however, you are still obligated to pay any unpaid balances or fees, if applicable.

Having worked for a telecommunications company previously, I know that whenever we got a request from another company to port a number to them, we were not allowed to refuse.  I think the rep you spoke to was misinformed.

I would contact your new carrier and have them submit the request through their processes.  Verizon should receive the request and will have to comply.

ledererster

Okay, so my best course of action would be to go through the new carrier to submit the porting request?

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
Ptmc518
Contributor - Level 3

Yes.  I would contact them to setup your service as normal and tell them you want to port your old number.  Make sure Verizon doesn't turn off your account.  If they do, then the number may no longer be available to port.  The account shouldn't close until after the number is ported, and again, you're still responsible for the balance.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
ledererster, we're sad to hear that you want to leave us. Please be advised that your mobile number must be active in order to port out to another wireless carrier. However, you will be unable to port out if the line is currently suspended for non payment or if the account owner refuses to provide verification to release the number.

During the process of porting your number out, you can continue to use the phone you have with Verizon Wireless until your port is complete. Once the port is finished, your Verizon Wireless device will stop working.

If your new phone doesn’t work after programming it, or if you’re unsure if your service provider is a Verizon Wireless, please call (888) 844-7095 from another phone and the Port Center will be glad to help you.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

IT might be worth mentioning that your ability to get service from a new carrier may hinge on a good credit rating, which can be effected negatively if you are late paying bills.

0 Likes
GZRX
Contributor - Level 3

Not responsive to the original question but porting out with an unpaid balance I believe will cause your phone to become blacklisted.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

IF the phone is on Edge and isn't paid off, perhaps.  If on a 2 year contract, probably not.  And OP may be buying a new phone anyway.

0 Likes
GZRX
Contributor - Level 3

I've read on some cell forums multiple incidents of this blacklisting happening after porting out while leaving an unpaid balance.  I don't see mention of it on the Verizon site but here is one link where that practice is mentioned:

http://recomhub.com/blog/what-is-a-blacklisted-iphone-5c-phone-verizon-iphone-is-blacklisted/

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Phone can be blacklisted if the ETF wasn't paid on a contract cancellation.  Once an account is past due on the final balance and/or goes to collections, blacklisting is common.

0 Likes